VSSA Through-Hole Version by Jason

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
vgeorge,

PMI probably sent you parcel few months ago but any parcel sent by (any country's) postal service is a risk. PMI would be unable to tell you when you are going to receive it. But from my personal experience anything longer than one month is critical. After that time parcel is probably lost. The longest shipments I know of were surface parcels from US. Such parcel once uset to travel 3 1/2 months.

I paid some CDs from a US (California) company "CheapCDs" in 1999 and received parcel in 2006!

It's the one thing I worry about myself; having any of these packages get lost in the postal system. I did mention using better service levels but so far everyone has agreed to take the risk of standard post. I have packages going to folks in Canada, USA, Scotland, Australia, India, and Serbia. I expect fairly quick delivery to Canada and the US, longer to Scotland and Australia and If I'm worried at all about getting the delivery done in a timely manner to anywhere it is to India and Serbia.

So for those who have bought my surplus, I'd appreciate some feedback when you receive your packages. That will just put my mind at ease. What is the protocol for a lost package anyway? I have done very little international business so I'm a little concerned. It is important to me everyone gets what they paid for.

Current Status

still4given - 2 - Shipped
ivanlukic - 2 - Alternative payment arrangements made, shipping Monday
quan - 2 - Shipped
triplej - 2 - Paid, shipping Monday
baswamin - 2 - PM sent with total cost and PayPal information
potepuh - 2 - PM sent with total cost and PayPal information
spind - 2 - Paid, shipping Monday
brianco - 2 - PM sent with total cost and PayPal information
Sheldon - 2 - Shipped

In original VSSA thread everybody got the package, no goods undelivered. Also you get the answer long after modules were delivered, even today I can answer to some question. It looks you guys have to concentrate to Jason from now on. :up:

Maybe PMI discovered something about VSSA. :)

If I'm worried at all about getting the delivery done in a timely manner to anywhere it is to India and Serbia.

So for those who have bought my surplus, I'd appreciate some feedback when you receive your packages. That will just put my mind at ease. What is the protocol for a lost package anyway? I have done very little international business so I'm a little concerned. It is important to me everyone gets what they paid for.

Yes, I noticed that there is more problems with deliveries to countries like Serbia and India that with deliveries to western Europe and north America. But I am sure that the problem is not in Serbian Postal Service, because all thing sent from Serbia arrive to any destination fast.

There is no protocol with lost packages at all, unless it is registered, and registration means additional postage cost. I do not know how much more expensive it is. Courier services are great but the price for it would be higher than the value of pcbs itself.

Jason,

I have not had any issues while receiving posts from other countries. I received the original vssa modules of LC and PMI's cap multiplier from US without any issues. I have ordered stuff from Hongkong also and did not face any issues.

Having said that, I am not sure what to do when something is lost. From what gannaji is saying (he is from India too), the complaint needs to raised at source country. Let me know the cost of courier and then I will take a call. I will send a PM for this. Thank you for your concerns.

Regards

Another quick update:

quan - 2 - Shipped
baswamin - 2 - Paid, shipping Monday
brianco - 2 - Paid, shipping Monday
Sheldon - 2 - Shipped

So, for the moment everything is clipping along nicely. Will send every package that is paid for on Monday, so far all via regular airmail. Thanks everyone for your assistance with this.

Another quick update:

quan - 2 - Shipped
Sheldon - 2 - Shipped

So, for the moment everything is clipping along nicely. Will send every package that is paid for on Monday, so far all via regular airmail. Thanks everyone for your assistance with this.

Hi Jason,,

I could really use that BOM. There are a few components I don't recognize in the pics. I need to make a Mouser order for another amp I'm working on and would like to include the few parts I need for this one at the same time.

Thanks, Terry

Hi Jason,,

I could really use that BOM. There are a few components I don't recognize in the pics. I need to make a Mouser order for another amp I'm working on and would like to include the few parts I need for this one at the same time.

Thanks, Terry

Sorry for the delay, I had forgotten a commitment I had made this weekend that has occupied much of my time. I will do my best to get a BOM together as soon as I can, perhaps later tonight.

OK folks,

Starting off I'm posting the 'As Built' schematic with component designators that match the silk on the boards that are shipping / are shipped and a basic Bill Of Materials. Also provided is a drill template. These will be included in a more comprehensive document to come but I'm putting them up individually since they have been explicitly requested.

Also, as an update:

quan - 2 - Shipped
potepuh - 2 - Paid, shipping Monday
Sheldon - 2 - Shipped

So, everyone has paid which means I will be shipping out all remaining packages tomorrow.

Attachments

• JTK-VSSA BOM.pdf
    34.4 KB · Views: 1,125
  • VSSA CCS_asbuilt.pdf
    35.8 KB · Views: 1,878
  • JTK-VSSA Drill Template.pdf
    1.3 KB · Views: 739
Jason,

Couple of questions for you based on your schematic.

1. The 2200uF cap does not seem to have a film bypass. Do you think adding film cap will improve sound? or stated other way, absence of film bypass capacitor wont affect the sound?

2. We saw in LC's VSSA modules that removing diode/resistor D3,D4/R16,R19 improved bass. Will this mod work here too? I am thinking a little ahead to tweaks after the build.

Thanks

Hi Jason,

Wow, just got a chance to look over the schematic. We are a ways away from the little 6 transistor amp we started with. For those of us who are trying to learn, would you mind explaining what the added circuitry is accomplishing?

Thanks, Terry

Terry,

The short version is just the addition of two CCSs (constant current sources) to feed current to the front end and a VBE multiplier (amplified diode) in place of the diode string for output biasing. Each CCS adds two devices and the VBE adds one more for a total of five small signal devices added as supporting components. The 'core' is still the six transistor circuit.

PMI's version used JFETs for the CCSs and diodes for bias. LazyCats official offering used JFETs for CCSs as well and an IC (band gap reference IIRC) to yield adjustable bias. This is a deviation from Shaan's PeeCeeBee but closer to LazyCat's vision and IMHO still a valid VSSA version. This is why we are here on this thread and not on the PeeCeeBee thread, we are no longer compliant with Shaan's vision and it didn't seem appropriate in LC's thread since that is considered a commercial venture now.

If there are any questions I'll try to address them later tonight.

Last update, at least until we see packages arriving to their destinations:

ivanlukic - 2 - Shipped
quan - 2 - Shipped
triplej - 2 - Shipped
baswamin - 2 - Shipped
potepuh - 2 - Shipped
spind - 2 - Shipped
brianco - 2 - Shipped
Sheldon - 2 - Shipped

All were shipped out via post this morning. Some destinations may take some time to arrive, others will be quicker. Please, please let me know when they have arrived. Thanks everyone. I will continue to work on documentation, but the basics are already posted and that should get everyone started.

Jason,

Couple of questions for you based on your schematic.

1. The 2200uF cap does not seem to have a film bypass. Do you think adding film cap will improve sound? or stated other way, absence of film bypass capacitor wont affect the sound?

2. We saw in LC's VSSA modules that removing diode/resistor D3,D4/R16,R19 improved bass. Will this mod work here too? I am thinking a little ahead to tweaks after the build.

Thanks

baswamin,

1) I initially began the layout with the option to do film bypasses for the feedback capacitors but began making too many compromises in the layout to leave them on. My initial builds don't have any feedback bypassing and I didn't feel they suffered to be without them. This layout does not accommodate added bypassing, but I don't think it will make any significant difference. Opinions will vary.

2) The VSSA likes a clean and quiet power supply, especially for the IPS and VAS. For anyone who builds with a basic bulk or CRC supply the Ds and Rs are of benefit, they help filter some of the ripple from the mail supply. If you use a good capacitance multiplier supply or SMPS then you could install jumpers instead if you so desired. I'm not 100% sold on the improved bass, but this is DIY, so if you want to try it for yourself I'd love to hear what your opinion is.

In the end, you have a working circuit to start with you can tweak as you see fit. If you find some modification that yields a real improvement then by all means share it so we can all benefit.

Jason

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the explanation. I wasn't questioning your motives, just trying to learn. Seems this thread is the perfect place for this. I think that is what PMI had in mind when he started this thread.

Thanks again, Terry

Oh, no I didn't think that at all. I was just pointing out that for the more 'evolved' VSSA that the CCSs are the norm and not the exception. I just incorporated a different type of CCS, mainly because I'm not fond of JFETS if only for the limited Vds ratings and poorer availability.

It's all about exploring and tweaking as we go. There aren't any major changes, just some subtle 'choices' in implementation.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.