Suggestions for a balanced input class A amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'd like to build a pair of monoblock amplifiers that meet the following requirements:
1) rms power 50 W or more
2) class A
3) balanced input
4) ability to drive speakers that go down to 2 ohms

Any suggestion for a good diy project would be much appreciated.
Thank you.

Thank you all for advices.

The A75 is quite interesting but I think it is expensive and challenging.
Do you think a Pass A40 could drive well a pair of Magneplanar MMG? It could be an easier to build and more affordable alternative to A75. Sadly, its input is not balanced...

@sreten
I'm not a native english speaking person, I'm afraid I've not understood the sense of your contribute. May I ask to clarify a bit? Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
With loudspeakers that go well under 4 ohm, it's safer and easier to pick a power amplifier with a MOSFET output stage.

2-ohm capable amplifiers with bipolar output transistors would need a relatively big output stage, or protection add-ons, which makes it more complex.

A 50W class A power amp will require a big case, large heatsinks, and big power supplies anyway.
Full 50W class A in 8 ohm means a minimum idle dissipation of 110W per channel.
220W dissipation for 2 channels is a heat figure that is hard to get rid of with a stereo amp case. Without fans, it would have to be huge.

(the A75 is easy to downsize, btw, and suitable output devices are really affordable)

Easiest for you to do would be to order boards from the diyA store, the BA stuff.
Making PCB's and amp cases are the difficult parts of building an amplifier for most.

I'd like to build a pair of monoblock amplifiers that meet the following requirements:
1) rms power 50 W or more
2) class A
3) balanced input
4) ability to drive speakers that go down to 2 ohms

Any suggestion for a good diy project would be much appreciated.
Thank you.
Well here is my DIY project. I've been using these amps for about 10 years now, and never had a problem (but I admit when its 45 deg in Melbourne like it was 2 weeks ago, I don't turn them on).

40 Watts class A, balanced in. I drive a 4 ohm ribbon tweeter with these. Never gone down to 2 ohm, but it wouldn't hurt (though you'd get less power out).

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/212424-balanced-class-fet-amplifier.html

Last edited:
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Sandor, go with the Pass proposal - order the PCB's from the DIYaudio store. Lots have been built and you can get help/advice. You are also lucky - Modushop are based in Italy and you can get a very BIG 5U case with heatsinks for about 200 Euros. This should get you to 50W class A per channel with heatsink temps at 60C max.

modushop.biz

Hazard500 amp looks good also - fun project!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.