Lab Gruppen amps IPD1200 and IPD2400

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Do someone knows those Lab Gruppen Power amps:

IPD1200 (2X300W/8ohms)
&
IPD2400 (2X600W/8ohms)

Do they use AB-class, H-class or D-class?
Is the cooling noisy (in personal home environment)?

I would like to use it in my home, on a 3 ways active JBL system (18" 2268H, 8" CMCD and 1.4" PT horn).

Since the sensitivity of the mid and HF parts are #108dB/W/m, I expect the amps noise to be low enough in order to be not audible at 1m distance.

Thanks in advance

Massilia from Marseille, France

OK thanks.

I know I do not need many electrical power for my system.

I am interested by those Lab Gruppen amps because they build high quality products for a reasonable price.
And I do not want D-class for my system (which is an audiophile one).

Not so easy to find medium power very high quality amps: either it is a professional one (exhibiting very high power, fan cooling, sometimes D-class), or it is a HiFi esoteric very expensive...

Joined 2010
Paid Member
You can still buy good quality, small to medium power amplifiers from the usual Japanese manufacturers or buy known good, used equipment or even better - become a DIY and design/build your own.

Don't rely on internet chat and industry opinons that are often extreme or over-generalised about products that won't suit you. Listen to real stuff where possible and decide what you (and your wallet) like best.

FWIW, stage and PA amplifiers are about the last type of product you need to have in your home. They could be the world's best quality electronics and build quality at very low cost but they are designed to work at max. power, not trickling 1 or 2 watts to domestic speakers. They will work but they will be way out of their intended range of operation and likely not sound anything like hi-fi quality.

Thanks Ian.

For the moment I use home made well studied (simulation), good schematic with large power supply and decoupling, amplifiers units. From 2X60W Rms to 2X 250W Rms (tri-amplified system).

It sounds well, and measurement results are very good (electronic and loudspeaker system). No problem with it.

But as I have only little time today to spend for my sound system, finite products could be interesting for future improvements.

Regards

Hello,

Here is Lab gruppen support answer:

Dear Sir,
Apologies for not getting back to you sooner.
Unfortunately we do not have any SPL measurements of the fan noise of the IPD.
We do consider the fan noice to be very low and since it is temperature controlled, in many cases when using low signal the fans are not even turned on and when turned on they are just working in idle. It is not many times i have heard the fans go further than idle.

IPD uses a bridged Class D design
Best Regards

So as it is class D amps, I will not use it for my audio system.
In fact what I would like to have is a Crown Reference but it is no more produced.

So I will go on with my home-made amps!

Thanks all for your responses.

Regards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.