Upping the Watts - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th January 2014, 04:48 PM   #11
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

Input voltage to the transformer - I think you mean transformer secondary voltage (input voltage to the amplifier).

The table does show that 30V gives 60W into 8R, but you can't do this with the standard circuit. Notice the high power circuit has a different design (uses constant current sources) and with two pairs of output transistors still is only safe for 40W. Also the split power supply means there are two secondaries (each 30V using your example). You would need another pair of output transistors, and possibly some increase to the current in the voltage amplifier stage, again which takes some knowledge of the implications and may result in instability.
Old 20th January 2014, 05:35 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j baldam View Post
Hi
there is a table featured in an update to the original design that seems to suggest that the output wattage is dependant upon the input voltage of the transformer. As the input voltage rises the output wattage rises.

The Class-A Amplifier Site - JLH Class-A Update
a secondary voltage of 30v will give 60 watts into 8 ohms.
Could I stand corrected or is that my original thought from my post.
hi ritchie, I meant the input voltage to the board from transformer,secondary.

1969 version, if I'm limited with this design I'll try to get as many watts as poss. I think the limit may be 15 watts.
Old 20th January 2014, 05:38 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

I have the 1969 version. You may be surprised just how much sound 10W will give you.
X-BoSoZ, B1 Mezmerize, P101, Symasym, KSA 50, Aleph-X, Leach Low TIM, Leach Superamp, Dx MKIII, Super A, Honey Badger, JLH 1969, Gainclone. FetZilla, Peeceebee, VSSA PMI & jkuetemann, SKA GB150, Ovation nx & sx, AX&SX-14, TMG8, Slewmanster w/CFA-XH, Wolverine, Spooky, Symasui, Low TIM hybrid
Old 20th January 2014, 06:08 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Aye, 10 watts could probably be enough, sensitive speakers, small room.

Just thought I'd up the power whilst using better bits.

How do you find the JLH.
Old 20th January 2014, 06:28 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

I'm actually pretty impressed with it. Hard to believe so few components can give such good sound. I built mine to test out using a server power supply for audio. I haven't installed it in a case yet because I want to try some different power supplies with it first. The server power supply is way over kill at 47A but it puts out 26VDC which the amp seems happy with. I used MJ15003 outputs. Mine was not a kit. It was built using the Jim's Audio boards.
X-BoSoZ, B1 Mezmerize, P101, Symasym, KSA 50, Aleph-X, Leach Low TIM, Leach Superamp, Dx MKIII, Super A, Honey Badger, JLH 1969, Gainclone. FetZilla, Peeceebee, VSSA PMI & jkuetemann, SKA GB150, Ovation nx & sx, AX&SX-14, TMG8, Slewmanster w/CFA-XH, Wolverine, Spooky, Symasui, Low TIM hybrid
Old 21st January 2014, 06:09 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

JLH is a Class A amp. Makes all the difference.

Gajanan Phadte
Old 21st January 2014, 09:14 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Thank you for the helpful replies, more confident of a result now.

Hide this!Advertise here!