yamaha rx-v2095 wont power on

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Check the impedance selector switch on the back. The contacts become intermittent and cause the very problem you are experiencing. Give the switch several actions and then set it back where it was and try again. If this clears the fault the switch will require a small squirt of Deox or similar to provide a more permanent solution.

hmmm ... it looks like the impedance selector switch may affect how the power is rectified ... actually changing the voltage on the main caps .. so, what you are saying is that if its contacts are not solid, it can screw up the power supply in such a way that the cpu chip takes a voltage transient and trashes one of its power inlets (for example) ... yes, there does need to be an explanation as to why that chip would suddenly decide to fail, and someone static zapping the unit is not a very good explanation. That comment is very much appreciated. I think you may be on to something .. I'm beginning to wonder if the impedance selector switch isn't a serious risk to the amplifier as you describe it ... and if other TTL level chips haven't also been damaged by that.

I have a rx-v1090 and after a check ~2 years ago with less luck it now collects dust.
But this thread have given me some hope, maybe it's time to dive in to it again...

As I remember I measured high AC on all ground points, but rather small current as I could toch it and it almost dissapeard. Also had some codes about voltage wch I can't remeber now, but it allowed start in failsafe mode.
I only hope that this doesn't have anything to do with a lightning that stroke 3 months earlier.
If so I guess it's the scrap heap for it....

Figge.

Here's an entry from the user manual regarding the impedance switch.

hmmm ... it looks like the impedance selector switch may affect how the power is rectified ... actually changing the voltage on the main caps .. so, what you are saying is that if its contacts are not solid, it can screw up the power supply in such a way that the cpu chip takes a voltage transient and trashes one of its power inlets (for example) ... yes, there does need to be an explanation as to why that chip would suddenly decide to fail, and someone static zapping the unit is not a very good explanation. That comment is very much appreciated. I think you may be on to something .. I'm beginning to wonder if the impedance selector switch isn't a serious risk to the amplifier as you describe it ... and if other TTL level chips haven't also been damaged by that.

Attachments

• Yamaha Switch.jpg
    Yamaha Switch.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 79
Hi guys. Are we allowed to erect old posts?

I have an RX-V1000 that does exactly as most describe - clicks on, quickly clicks back off without display of any kind.

I've tried moving the impedance selector switch but that does nothing.

A thing to note, when I had this receiver stored in my storage facility, I had decided to plug it in there and what do ya know, it powered on normally (although the display seemed a little dim). I am thinking the facility had higher voltage than what I had at my household? Just a guess.

Anyway, I bought this thing knowing it wasn't working from a thrift shop a few years back and never really tore into it until now.

Those of you that got theirs working again, what did it turn out to be?

Thanks!

Best to create a separate thread.
Your amp is in protect mode because of a fault, could be anything. Suggest download
the service manual and read the protection info from the amp. If the amp powers up
for 1 sec then possibly Power Supply (PS) protection, often caused by failed voltage
regulators or caps, this is a reasonably easy fix. I-PROTECT and DC PRT are more
difficult as you can see with this thread. Important to note all the diag info,

eg PS PRT 005

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.