Help needed with McIntosh MC2500

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello guys.

I am in the midst of repairing a unit of Mcintosh MC2500 for a friend. I believe the guy connected the set with the wrong input voltage setting and about 60% of the output transistors were blown. I believe the MJ15003/04s and MJ15024/25s would work nicely. Could any kind soul out there give me a pointer on this?

ckt

Hello ckt. Glad to see you back again here. Hope that you've had a good CNY.

About the MC2500, if the replacement transistors have the same (or better) ratings in voltage, gain, power dissipation and current (and casing style too!), I don't see why you can't use them.

But then, of course, there's the subjective perception of the different sound of different transistors.........

Good luck in your repairs.

Hi Wong,

Nice to hear from you too! Did you drop by KL during the CNY?
With regards to the output devices, both the numbers I mentioned will work but they do have slightly different sonic signatures. I used the MJ15003s in the Mac MC2100 and it works fine. In fact, I've also substituted these with the well known Japanese 3281s and 1302s in many instances and most of the time enjoyed improvements but not on a few occasions. The MC2500 have 6 pairs in each channel and the MJ15...s are not exactly a dime a dozen so I thought that I just needed a bit of re-assurance. If someone had tried out the numbers I've mentioned, then I do not have to juggle between which pair of MJs to try or even use the 2SAs and 2SCs if someone have tried them out in the Mcintoshs.

Regards,

ckt

Status
Not open for further replies.