Yamaha cr 1040 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th December 2013, 02:29 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Yamaha cr 1040

Hello all,
I am in the process of troubleshooting this receiver.Have found some bad parts and in the process of replacing them.I have a question concerning how can i troubleshoot to find out if the problem came down stream causing the components to fail.With parts missing, is there anyway I can check downstream?
Old 28th December 2013, 06:45 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Check the pre-driver STK module. It is a very common cause of failure in this model. Sadly, if it's dead - which is likely - the amp is not repairable.
Old 28th December 2013, 07:15 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to JonSnell Electronic
The driver ic is still available.
IG02930【 Datasheet 】, IG02930【 Price 】, IG02930【 Supplier 】, IG02930【 PDF 】, IG02930【 Stock 】, IG02930【 Purchase 】, IG02930【 Datenblatt 】
Old 10th January 2014, 12:53 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi, sorry this isn't more timely, but I'm not a regular here.

It is possible, though maybe not what you'd call easy, to do a health check of the predrivers with the power output packs removed. It involves completing the overall feedback loop around the amplifier by tack-soldering a couple of resistors across certain of the power pack pads. With the loop completed, and the receiver powered with a "dim bulb" rig, you can make some DC voltage checks and even do a listening test at low levels through headphones. If this sounds like something you'd like to try, I'll go find my writeup in another forum and post here.

You might wonder about the complementary situation, testing the power pack with the predriver removed. I don't think it's possible to do an adequate "positive" test in this case. That is, I don't think it's possible to declare a power pack healthy based on such testing.

Regarding predriver availability:

I would be very, very surprised if one could actually obtain genuine IG02930s, despite the hints that you can find at sites like hkinventory.

I can offer hand-built and tested reproduction modules that are a drop-in replacement for IG02930 (and would also replace the predrivers from CR-840 and CR-640). It's not really a commercial enterprise, and I don't want this post to be a commercial, so if anyone is interested in a repro, please PM me.

Good luck!

chazix

Hide this!Advertise here!