Repairing a Denon DMA-1560

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
First of all; sorry if im posting in the wrong forum. I don't really know the different types of amplifiers.. Feel free to move my topic if needed.

Hey there.

My father-in-law has given me the task of repairing his old Denon DMA 1560 amplifier which has stopped working.
It turns on just fine, but no sound is passing through no matter which input or output im using. One thing I have noticed is that it doesnt come with the regular "click" sound after turning on, that I'm used to from other amplifiers. Could this have something to do with the issue? Im thinking a broken relay, maybe?

Any ideas about what to check and how to proceed with the repairing procedure would be appreciated! :)

Merry christmas from Denmark!

fast food solution will not pop up here , second the thought ""if the relay doesn't click " you have a faulty relay is at least childish....

protection and relay will not click because senses something that doesn't allow the amplifier to operate properly That can be power supply issue , protection issue , main amplifier issue and many others not really related to a real failure such is dried capacitors and poor soldering .

Sorry for being hard on you but seems that you dont have what it takes and you are messing up with a thing that include safety issues also ..so its better for some things to be told ...the hard way

In case i am wrong and you know a few things a DVM and a schematic will tell you a lot more with in 5 minutes ...Number one issue for relay not to click is offset ( ammount of voltage present in the output) and that can be caused from open resistors driver area , shorted drivers or outputs and many other causes ...

carefully
Kind regards
Sakis

You see this claim on ads for old amplifiers a lot. "Relay doesn't click - perhaps it's broken?". Ignorant or intentionally misleading? Who knows. :)

OP: This is a very complicated amp - even for an experienced tech - and it sounds like you are new to this. It's not a good amp to test the waters on, it can easily end up FUBAR.

Protip: Never get a broken Denon amp from this era. Chances are someone's fiddled with it and as a result it'll never run again. :D I've seen this several times.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.