Linearity

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just a thought..... has anyone ever managed to devise a bipolar amplification stage that is linear before feedback? I'm thinking is there a way of combining an inverse square law type of transfer with the usual square law type of transistor b/e transfer characteristic so that they balance out over a decent range and have a straight line effective overall Vbe at least over that range. A lack of suitable devices would seem to be the main problem. Possible?

Just a thought..... has anyone ever managed to devise a bipolar amplification stage that is linear before feedback?

I think you'd do well to define your temrs a bit more precisely at the start. For example, do you mean 'linear' as determined by listening or by measurements? If the latter then which measurements over which operating ranges?

If linear means 'sounding good' (which would be my initial assumption) then you could look at amps which use no global NFB (Ayre comes to mind - Bob Cordell says they sound great). Bob also has a schematic of a no-GNFB amp in his book. You'd also do well to distinguish global NFB from local or no amps with emitter followers will qualify....:p

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.