Amp Recommendation under $1k

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am currently using a heavily modified K12G tube amp and am looking to buy a solid state amp of comparable sound quality.

Some background details: I listen to all kinds of music but primarily rock and blues. I have several different DIY speakers I listen to, all bookshelf designs. The K12G amp has had most of VoltSec's mods done to it, including high-end caps and new Hammond output transformers.

I am currently looking at a NAD 326BEE int amp, but am worried it won't match the detail and resolution of my current amp. Adcom amps are usually cheap on eBay for example, but I haven't seen a commercial review of one of those in at least 10 years!

My goal is to swap out my amps depending on my mood and music at the time, sometimes even comparing tube/SS on the same music. I have briefly thought about building a pass labs DIY design, but I would be worried about picking the right design and component quality to match my existing system.

amps 4 u

Well soundwave you will get a lot of DIY suggestions, almost all of which are far below your $1k budget. I'd recommend one of Carlos (destroyerx) amps if you go the DIY route or the Honeybadger (people say good stuff about it). Start with a chipamp (LM3886) for an easy way to add to your amp collection on the cheap.

For commercial amps, you could get a Parasound Halo A23 used for $500-600; a Rotel 1080 for about that same price. These are newer amplifiers and should last a long time. Of course you could get older classic amps like Adcoms, Yamahas and Grand Integras but they may need work.

Last edited:
Are there amp projects on this forum that include step-by-step instructions on how to build them? I am quite interested in a DIY amp, but would feel better about it if I had detailed directions. I have looked at several projects in the most recent pages of the forum but haven't seen anything like what I am looking for.

IMO it won't really matter much IF using bookshelf speakers :)
Bass & dynamics Are constrained.. All protest bleatings aside.
Speakers are THE cornerstone of a system.. All else follows.
Yes.. there are decent bookshelves but those are V expensive.. Enough so that it is purely space determined, not sounds, decision.
The NAD will work So will the Adcom.

Are there amp projects on this forum that include step-by-step instructions on how to build them? I am quite interested in a DIY amp, but would feel better about it if I had detailed directions. I have looked at several projects in the most recent pages of the forum but haven't seen anything like what I am looking for.
I think you should consider one of Hugh R Dean's offerings at AKSA look here http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/aksa/236489-naksa-80-description.html

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.