TGM8 - my best amplifier, incredible bass, clear highs, no fatigue (inspired by Rod Elliot P3a)

I disassembled the defective board part by part and seems like the culprit is R19, 10R 1W resistor that went kapout... It was reading 325K but seemed intact to the eye... Now the PCB is way past rebuild, I mean I could re-populate it since all SMD are still on it but many pads have gone so it is best to order new parts (I'm keeping what I salvaged since it was all tested ok).

What went so wrong that R19 got defective? It is a 1W resistor, at this power level I think I would have seen some smoke? It is not even a little dark/burned...

Do

Well R19 (if I remember) is the Zobel resistor. For this to overheat there likely would have been some h.f. oscillations which passed a lot of h.f. current or else the capacitor in series with R19 is shorted out and passed a lot of dc current. It's hard to say why this happened but likely was a result of your 'torture testing' using your 'suicide speaker' when you had a metal particle short. I have not tested the amp to it's limits, i.e. I didn't try to break it by going into hard clipping into a load or driving square wave at 20kHz into load etc. so I am not sure how the amp will show a failure. Well, partly I'm lazy because I don't want to be rebuilding the amp! Anyhow, it's really nice that you found the failed part. Why it isn't showing burned signs, well that depends on the construction and materials, not all resistors are made the same way. What type / part number did you use for R19 ?

I believe it was this part CPF110R000FKEE6

I would have to check the order but I'm pretty sure it is.

Do

Well there's you answer, this resistor is specially made to be "Flameproof, high temperature silicone coating". No wonder it didn't show obvious signs of stress.