Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

TGM8 - an amplifier based on Rod Elliot P3a
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th January 2018, 11:55 PM   #841
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Good news ! - are you pleased with the results ?
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 7th February 2018, 04:52 PM   #842
RCruz is offline RCruz  Switzerland
nhinstruments
diyAudio Member

Finally had the opp to listen to it and i am really pleased with the sound.
Old 9th February 2018, 02:48 AM   #843
diyAudio Member

that's great!, any photos ?
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 9th February 2018, 06:34 AM   #844
auriga2001in is offline auriga2001in  India
diyAudio Member

Default Thanks Bigun

Thanks for the wonderful amp. I have two amps (BJT, Latfet outputs) running wonderfully for a year now.
Old 9th February 2018, 11:49 AM   #845
diyAudio Member

Fantastic, it's good to know that it works well with the Latfets.
Old 9th February 2018, 02:22 PM   #846
pinnocchio is offline pinnocchio  Canada
diyAudio Member

I'll eventually rebuild a new channel. I must have a passive component busted since all active have been replaced on the defective channel. I will measure all passive in-circuit and compare values with working module. Too bad this happened to it.

Do
Old 9th February 2018, 02:32 PM   #847
diyAudio Member

I was even wondering if there is a defect in the bare pcb from the manufacturer. I imagine this is very rare on simple two-sided board though. But if you have a spare pcb and have the patience to start-over or transfer parts across then a clean-build might help ??
Old 9th February 2018, 02:35 PM   #848
diyAudio Member

I have a few spare PCBs so I might just do that

Do
Old 10th February 2018, 05:55 AM   #849
diyAudio Member

I disassembled the defective board part by part and seems like the culprit is R19, 10R 1W resistor that went kapout... It was reading 325K but seemed intact to the eye... Now the PCB is way past rebuild, I mean I could re-populate it since all SMD are still on it but many pads have gone so it is best to order new parts (I'm keeping what I salvaged since it was all tested ok).

What went so wrong that R19 got defective? It is a 1W resistor, at this power level I think I would have seen some smoke? It is not even a little dark/burned...

Do
Old 10th February 2018, 02:19 PM   #850
diyAudio Member

Well R19 (if I remember) is the Zobel resistor. For this to overheat there likely would have been some h.f. oscillations which passed a lot of h.f. current or else the capacitor in series with R19 is shorted out and passed a lot of dc current. It's hard to say why this happened but likely was a result of your 'torture testing' using your 'suicide speaker' when you had a metal particle short. I have not tested the amp to it's limits, i.e. I didn't try to break it by going into hard clipping into a load or driving square wave at 20kHz into load etc. so I am not sure how the amp will show a failure. Well, partly I'm lazy because I don't want to be rebuilding the amp! Anyhow, it's really nice that you found the failed part. Why it isn't showing burned signs, well that depends on the construction and materials, not all resistors are made the same way. What type / part number did you use for R19 ?

TGM8 - an amplifier based on Rod Elliot P3aHide this!Advertise here!