Bass speaker amplifier?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Are there any bass amplifier boards available that are similar to perhaps, say, the Tripath amplifiers?

I've recently built a bluetooth speaker that has a 2.1 audio setup, but I had to make it mono because I couldn't find a way of powering the bass speaker, so used the other amplifier channel instead.

Are there any cheap (£10-20/$15-30) amps out there that can take a stereo signal, mix it to mono with a low pass filter for a subwoofer? Really curious to know because it would open up a lot of different speaker designs.

Thanks!

There is nothing special about a bass amplifier, any amplifier will amplify bass. It also doesn't need to be of stunning quality.

Adding two stereo signals together is simply a matter of fitting a resistor in series with each channel, then connecting the other end of the resistors together, to complete the "adder" you then fit a similar value resistor between the joint above and 0V. The joint and 0V form the mono input to your amplifier.

Resistors of about 2K2 are common in this application.

The purists will chip in here with valid points such as:-

The bass speaker normally requires more power than the rest of the system - that is why you see 1000W sub-woofers.

A subwoofer requires a low pass filter - again a simple RC filter will suffice if you are on a budget. A woofer wont be harmed by a little MF, whereas a tweeter would be harmed with LF.

For £20 you are not going to be able to DIY an amplifier. Your best bet is probably a visit to Cash Convertors (a thrift shop for our American friends).

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.