Dx Blame ST revisiting - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st October 2013, 11:57 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Dx Blame ST revisiting

I found threat too much long... .confused....i was searching for the old layout and i found difficult, reason why i am collecting here something about.

Dx Blame was in the early beginning called Dx Blame ES (means YES)...because was a copy...or almost a copy...or deeply inspired into Doctor Self design called Blameless.... so, this is Blame YES because i had the blame to copy.

Dx Blame ES is the one sounds the best..but it is in the limit into the VAS and sometimes a transistor goes!...the BC546, first VAS sometimes melts...was replaced by 2N5551 and became better....but even this way was attacked by some guys that feel it imprecise.

Yep...really was my mistake...but i have insisted...i keep the circuit because the sound was unbeatable....and even now a days i am having doubts if the ones i made after, the more modern ones, are much better...there are some details in the sonics the Blame ES is spectacular....for instance..two voices..talking two different languages at same time...mixed....it is easier to undertand both singers, or both speakers, or both guys talking, if you are using the ES.....it means to me it is because of harmonics...very low harmonics not messing with the original sound.

The Blame ES was killed...i have replaced by the Dx Blame ST to have a more stable amplifier being offered and to shut off some mouthes that were mining the courage of some guys to assemble.....this resulted fine as hundreds have built, in special in Brazil

Todd Johnson was not happy...also Metal not happy...also Rudi not happy.... people was not happy with mine decision...but i do not regret..no way to keep an amplifier when people came in groups to attack and to say it had flaws...and it had flaws.....so.... the new model was to fix...i tried to fix changing a little....i found sound good...but some magic was lot there...reason why in my home i am using the original ES schematic and when i inject some high level pulse..sometimes the BC546 goes...... two times in three years...i do think this is something i can face.

The defect that is bringing a nice effect...something interesting.... was partially or totally fixed in the ST, i am not sure as i am not using it

I found in google the layout made for a Brazilian group inside a Brazilian forum...where two batches were distributed...almost 200 kits including power supply, speaker protector and surge protector...no more pcboards available folks....this is not an advertisement.... i will collect some informations and post it here, as soon i found them all, to allow people to build at home.

We have also, a third group, the blue pcboards (not available too) could accept four different models and in this site you have all informations:

Amplificadores DX Blame - Carlos Mergulhão

Just as an starting point, here you have the layout .... one of them..not the Todd Johnson one, nor the Metal one...this one was made by Miguel Nabuco, in Brazil, based and authorized by Todd Johnson.

Because i had troubles to find the stuff...this is the reason why i am opening this thread.

The subject was the thread "I am trying to develop a new amplifier, the Dx Blame ES...." ..... inside this same thread we turn into the Dx Blame ST.... and then a big ammount of time as i was out from the forum focusing into the Brazilian forum, helping people to build the green pcboards from the brazilian group... then a group buy for the blue boards was opened...and the blue boards had the option, as you can see, to build the Dx Blame ES and also the Dx Blame ST....it is just to use the correct parts referenced by a chart.

Slowly, as i am searching material, i will post all needed stuff here to make easy to the ones wants to build the amplifier.

What i was perceived, and this is important,...better sound is achieved while using BC546/556 and also while using BD139/140

regards,

Carlos

regards,

Carlos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dx Blame ST - green boards - Nabuco - Nacional.jpg (200.2 KB, 293 views)
Old 31st October 2013, 05:39 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default I will colect all material i have to post

Because i found hard to find the stuff...so.... the only text was the introduction and then i gonna post Brazilian boards..and then all i have from Todd Johnson (my Dx Avatar in this forum show his layout) and from others too.

regards,

Carlos
Old 31st October 2013, 09:10 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hello Uncle Carlos. I still have DX Blame ES. Very good!
I'll be watching.
Old 31st October 2013, 09:56 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Great Cantunes..... i am glad to see you around

Thank you.

Mitchel (Miguel Nabuco) sent me the files.

So, here you have all about the Brazilian pcboards...called Green boards.

Now i gonna be searching for Todd Johnson original, also something from Metal too (red pcboards)

To let, registered, as a memory and as a source of information, to forum folks.

regards,

Carlos
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DX Blame ST Layout TOP-refdes.pdf (33.7 KB, 51 views)
File Type: pdf DX Blame ST Layout TOP-valores.pdf (40.3 KB, 36 views)
File Type: pdf DX Blame ST Layout.pdf (19.6 KB, 42 views)
Old 1st November 2013, 01:22 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

DX Blame ES.pdf

DX Blame ES PCB Enhanced.pdf
Old 1st November 2013, 05:41 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default Thank you Cantunes...i am searching for the files about it

Power supply, how to adjust, the star ground..... then i gonna post it here.

To be something people can find what they want and fast...i will avoid comments...to make the thread small.

Thanks a lot dear Cantunes.

I will post pictures too... on that subject you can help a lot.

Mete foto amigo!..... insert images dear friend!

regards,

Carlos
Old 1st November 2013, 06:34 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

PSU DX Blame.

DXPSU-Esquema.pdf

DXPSU-Layout TOP.pdf

DXPSU-Layout.pdf
Old 1st November 2013, 09:04 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default Thank you Cantunes.

Here you have Greg Erskine site that has also the Dx Blame ST... it is a little bit different because not the Brazilian version, but it is the international version.

Greg's Web Site

regards,

Carlos
Old 12th January 2014, 06:39 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default Here you have it playing bass

regards,

Carlos

Dx Blame ST as subwoofer amp. -17+17V supplies - chapter 1 - YouTube

Hide this!Advertise here!