ARCAM ALPHA 10 flashing red LED

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've an ageing ARCAM Alpha 10 with DAVE, paired with a 10P. Upon switching on the integrated amp, the power LED lights up green, ARCAM HOME THEATRE shows in the display and the green CD LED lights up. There is an audible click followed quickly by a second click and the power LED turns to flashing red.
The text further below is from the service manual available online.Does anyone know how to fix this or at least if its likely to be repairable by an electronics engineer? Advice galdly accepted.

On power up, the protection should be engaged. This is checked after 3 seconds on pin 9 of Z9. If it isn't
happening, the unit shuts down with flashing red.
• If the protection does not clear after about 16 seconds on power-up the unit shuts down to flashing red. This
is usually caused by a voltage offset.

- Anything with flashing red, meaning that the over current or voltage off set issues. To fix this, first check the OUTPUT MOSFET transistors. If they are shorted, causing OVER CURRENT, then protection circuit will shut down the Amp.

-If they are ok, not shorted, then the THE CULPIT IS THE Toshiba TA7317P (Z5 on schematic). This IC is responsible for PROTECTION, it sends the POWER ON signal to pin 9 of the Z9 IC. After 16 seconds after turn on the Power switch, if the Z9 does not detect this signal on its pin 9, then Red light flashing and the Amp will be power off. JUST REPLACE THIS Z5 IC, cost around $3 then you will see the GREEN LIGHT again.

- Red flashing means PROCTECTION circuit was kicked in. There are commonly 2 reasons for this symptom.

- First, it is under Over Current Protection, caused by Shorted Power Mosfets (IRFP360LC). If these Transistor are ok then...

- Second, the TA7317P (Z5 IC on schematic) Protection IC is faulty itself. When Power Switch is engaged, the Controller IC (Z9 on schematic) will wait 16 second for the "all clear" signal from the Z5 to turn on the Amp. This signal goes from pin 6 of the Z5 to pin 9 of Z9, after 16 second, if there is no such signal, then the Micro Controller will turn off the Amp, along with a flashing red code. Just REPLACE the Ta7317P ($3) then you will see the GREEN LIGHT again.

Arcam A10 junk it or repair it?

I have the same issue. I am considering whether to junk it or repair economically (ie myself) I have ordered the Toshiba protection IC which looks like I will have to take off the board to solder it easily. If it is not that does anyone know the position of the output Mosfets? I could test them all with a multi meter but mine does not have a diode testing mode :( so dont want to buy a new one unecessarily.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.