Diamond Differential Amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
To bad he did not post .asc file, I guess I will have to draw it up myself, if I want to simulate it and compare.
Yes I do realize the difference in topology.
Your diamond ckt, looks similar to the Marshall Leach ckt? Borbely used the same symetrical front end as well?

The input stage is supplied with + /-15V stabilized by zeners, which also determines the constant current of input differential pairs and diamond differential to which it is connected. There is no cascade connection and there is no direct connection to the VAS like in Marshall Leach ckt and other ckt with simple symmetric front and.

Yes that meas on my desk is hd amp (bit different schematic).
It is working and playing right now. There is some work left to do but most important is that is working.

I didnt putted zeners at front end, I putted 2x2n5xx1 CCS instead.
With big amplitude I am gettin overshoot and bias is under compensated (I have to check this case too).
1st stage - 4mA
2nd stage - 5mA
VAS - 20mA
Driver - 13mA

There is some brumming issue but prapobly due my shitty board.
Amp is playing nice anyway - this is good promissing sign.

Attachments

• hd amp.jpg
    hd amp.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 682
  • hd5 square amp.jpg
    hd5 square amp.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 123
  • hd4 20khz slev rate.jpg
    hd4 20khz slev rate.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 561
  • HD3 cap load.jpg
    HD3 cap load.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 579
  • h2 square.jpg
    h2 square.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 575
  • HD1 1k square.jpg
    HD1 1k square.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 605
Yes that meas on my desk is hd amp (bit different schematic).
It is working and playing right now. There is some work left to do but most important is that is working.

I didnt putted zeners at front end, I putted 2x2n5xx1 CCS instead.
With big amplitude I am gettin overshoot and bias is under compensated (I have to check this case too).
1st stage - 4mA
2nd stage - 5mA
VAS - 20mA
Driver - 13mA

There is some brumming issue but prapobly due my shitty board.
Amp is playing nice anyway - this is good promissing sign.

Nice work, zeners must be used, DD need stabilized voltage on input for constant current, this topology promissing. DC offset circuit must be add as next circuit upgrade.

Regards

I do not have 15v zeners, can i use 24v ones and change two resistors for correct bias? Another think is if i can use 10k pot instead of two 5.6k resistors for first stage ? Differential amp on legs 1 and 3 and zener psu on leg 2? Or better do standart offset adjustment

Use zeners with voltage under 15V (8v2, 9v1...) or separate +/-15V psu (LM7815/7915...) and remove 1k/2W resistors.
For dc offset you can use any circuit or dc servo with op amp.

Last edited:
Keep on going this project.
My comment is just about the naming.

From my perspective this thread is showing only one schematic with a diamond topology and this was the Non Differential Elektor Diamond.
Attached a principal sketch of an input configuration which I would link to the title of thread.

Attachments

• DiamondDifferential.JPG
    DiamondDifferential.JPG
    724.5 KB · Views: 645
Keep on going this project.
My comment is just about the naming.

From my perspective this thread is showing only one schematic with a diamond topology and this was the Non Differential Elektor Diamond.
Attached a principal sketch of an input configuration which I would link to the title of thread.

Is this diamond differential with diamond buffers input stage?

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
its been very clearly stated by several other knowledgeable members that this diamond differential amp design is a Sansui speciality

and from what I understand also quite old, and designed before the diamond buffer
(I have no idea where the diamond buffer got its name from, or why)

would this put the name game to rest ?

Exactly. So far the naming 'diamond' typically is used for this PNP-NPN/NPN-PNP combination, which often used for buffers.
Some amps use this diamond approach also an input stage.
By combining two diamonds like in my sketch you can easily settle a very linear differential input stage with high input impedance and need nothing but cheap small signal BJTs.

Edit:
Above answer links to posting #73

@Tinitus
...cannot comment on the history of Sansui namings.
Possible that they used the name earlier.
Feel free to go for a research when the diamond buffer was born and when Sansui named its circuit diamond.

Last edited:
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Sansui s diamond circuit is a fet single differential that drive
a symmetrical differential , see below.

well, I suppose it's ok to be confused now :D

but is it possible to say what makes it such, or why its called a diamond amp :confused:

do I need to say you can click on the blue arrow in the quote to show original post

@Tinitus
...cannot comment on the history of Sansui namings.
Possible that they used the name earlier.
Feel free to go for a research when the diamond buffer was born and when Sansui named its circuit diamond.

I hoped someone would know the origin of the Diamond name, or when used first

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.