Diamond Differential Amplifier - Page 11 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd November 2013, 06:46 PM   #101
borys is offline borys  Poland
diyAudio Member

Ok I will put BC550/560 thanks.
Old 4th November 2013, 06:13 AM   #102
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by borys View Post
Next step is as mr Mile advised stabilised psu for front end, next prapobly cascaded vas (here I may need some help).
You can simple stabilised psu for front end just add zeners in parallel with C4 and C5 and recalculated resistors value.
Old 4th November 2013, 06:41 AM   #103
diyAudio Member

Very nice. For line level voltages when high gain transistors are available might get away without this level of complexity ? As an ongoing research SYMEF has been claimed to sound much better than LM3886 so far Thanks for posting.

kind regards,

Harrison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoHolic View Post
Keep on going this project.
My comment is just about the naming.

From my perspective this thread is showing only one schematic with a diamond topology and this was the Non Differential Elektor Diamond.
Attached a principal sketch of an input configuration which I would link to the title of thread.
Old 4th November 2013, 07:00 AM   #104
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnAudio View Post
Very nice. For line level voltages when high gain transistors are available might get away without this level of complexity ? As an ongoing research SYMEF has been claimed to sound much better than LM3886 so far Thanks for posting.

kind regards,

Harrison.
HD50 with +/-50V rail and 2 pair of outputs is without casscodes, but HD150 with +/-75V 4 pairs and HD300 with +/-95V rail and 6 pair of outputs must use cascode in diamond drive and vas.
Regards
Old 4th November 2013, 07:52 AM   #105
diyAudio Member

I putted the cascade (added bc546/556 for now) and it looks ok so far. I have some work left to do anyway. Amp will be playing whole day at work.
I have putte 470R resistors in front 2 amplifiers (mayby bit too big value). Amp is bit slower but stable.
The overshoot at 1kHz at one of scope reading is with 0,47uF parallel with 8R.

apexaudio
I have few questions:
1. front stage - use the capactance multiplier psu + resistor as current source or better use ccs instead of resistor (with capactance multiplier psu) ?
2. second stage of differential amps - the max Uce voltage while clipping is around 28V (+/-45V psu) so I can use bc550/560 paris too ?
3. I am going to try fets in front stage - do I have to change a circuit a lot ? (in some amps I was just soldering j-fet instead od bjt and all looked ok)

thanks
Attached Images
File Type: png 1kHz.png (59.1 KB, 406 views)
File Type: png intermod.png (54.1 KB, 397 views)
File Type: jpg hd1.jpg (62.7 KB, 377 views)
File Type: jpg hd2.jpg (66.1 KB, 367 views)
File Type: jpg hd4.jpg (61.5 KB, 356 views)
File Type: jpg hd5.jpg (66.4 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg hd6.jpg (62.5 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by borys; 4th November 2013 at 08:00 AM.
Old 4th November 2013, 10:09 AM   #106
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I putted the cascade (added bc546/556 for now) and it looks ok so far. I have some work left to do anyway. Amp will be playing whole day at work.
I have putte 470R resistors in front 2 amplifiers (mayby bit too big value). Amp is bit slower but stable.

apexaudio
I have few questions:
1. front stage - use the capactance multiplier psu + resistor as current source or better use ccs instead of resistor (with capactance multiplier psu) ?
2. second stage of differential amps - the max Uce voltage while clipping is around 28V (+/-45V psu) so I can use bc550/560 paris too ?
3. I am going to try fets in front stage - do I have to change a circuit a lot ? (in some amps I was just soldering j-fet instead od bjt and all looked ok)

thanks
1. use ccs and zener + resistor or ccs as current source, post #68
2. second stage or diamond drive DD can use bc550/560, use hawksford cascode circuit from SR200 in vas for higher cliping level
3. use Sansui circuit for single n fet front end, post #54
Regards

Last edited by apexaudio; 4th November 2013 at 10:24 AM.
Old 4th November 2013, 08:43 PM   #107
PMI is offline PMI  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Is the green trace the negative supply voltage? If it is, where is the scope connected, close to the output transistors, close to the power supply...?
Old 4th November 2013, 08:53 PM   #108
diyAudio Member

PMI
The green supply voltage is connected after fuse and thin wire (maybe here is the bug). I have to prepare nice board and test again.
Old 4th November 2013, 10:05 PM   #109
diyAudio Member

Quote:
PMI
The green supply voltage is connected after fuse and thin wire (maybe here is the bug). I have to prepare nice board and test again.
Those excursions on the green trace that I see are huge. They look like 10V pk-to-pk... If those are real, whether on the ground bus or on the rails, it will affect the rest of your readings.
Old 4th November 2013, 10:43 PM   #110
diyAudio Member

Quote:
PMI
With respect, I don't think so. I repeated one of my tests with a 6ft extra wire in the connection from the amplifier board to the positive supply terminal. Note the vertical scale of the second trace. That oscilloscope channel is set to 2V/division.

What you can see is the effect of a bit of added resistance from the wire, about 100~150 millivolts when power is drawn from that rail. No spikes or ringing on the supply at all, and I am not known for neatness when it comes to arranging test leads...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VSSA1C 10KSQ & Supply.jpg (324.0 KB, 73 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!