Cyrus L,R balance

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I am trying to fix a Cyrus amp belonging to a friend of mine. The amp is working fine alright. The problem is, there is no total separation between the left and right channel when using the balance pot. When pan fully left, there is still sound from the right channel but about half the loudness of the right channel. The same when I pan fully right. Can someone please give me some clues?.

Thanks

Carlosraj

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Without seeing a circuit its impossible to say. It could even be normal and designed that way, particularly as its equal for both channels.

A big clue (as to whether its faulty or not) would be to check the channel separation is OK.

Without seeing a circuit its impossible to say. It could even be normal and designed that way, particularly as its equal for both channels.

A big clue (as to whether its faulty or not) would be to check the channel separation is OK.

Thanks Mooly, according to my friend it was OK before and there was total separation between the left and right channel. I tried a different pot but the same. I do not know how to check for channel separation but I tried one thing. I just plug in ONLY the left channel input, and when I pan left it was sound and when I pan right, there was no sound totally. Does this mean that the channel separation is OK?

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
If you plug in the left input then there should be no output from the right channel at any balance control setting, and the same thing for the right channel if you test that. Plug just the right channel input in and there should be no sound from the left channel at any position of the balance control.

If it passes that test I would start to think it was normal.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
It helps to have a model No. when talking specifics. This way, it may be possible to find a schematic of early models and so make it easier than logically sorting out what you actually have from first principles or just guessing. Mission Cyrus and Cyrus have actually manufactured a lot of very different integrated amplifiers (Presumably, this is an integrated model if it sports a balance control!) So give us a little more info.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.