Preamplifier heat

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, Can anyone give me insight to the amount of heat from some preamp's? I purchased two Jeff Rowland coherence 1 preamp's. The first one the coherence 1 is very warm to the touch so much that you question to leave it on all the time. The other coherence 1 series ll is cooler and seems more normal. Is this heat coming from the power supply only or can it also radiate from the module's? Thanks for your input.

Yes, I did contact them twice with no reply. Did leave this preamp on for 3 full days with no change in temp. It also has no on/off switch, to turn it on is just to touch any demand. Will have to power up without the lid on but it does take a while to see that temp. I take it that this has been going on for some time because the rubber feet with threaded studs on the power supply also have dryed out and mostly fallen off. I mentioned this on the Rowland site last 2 week's ago. This is one fine machine the best I have listen to so far! Thanks, C.D.

With the lid off this heat source is coming from the 8 module's. I have a temp. of 104 deg. across the two phono mod's and 98 on the line stage. Is this normal with the lid off? Noticed with the other rowland 1 series ll the module's are coated with some kind of material, maybe this is the difference for being cooler? Also this is taken with no signal going through it. Thanks for any help

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Apparently, these are battery powered with AC charging and back-up. The maximum power is 40W and (presumably) when not charging, the power is down to 10W in the model 2. The only claimed difference in the owner manual to the model 1, is SMT electronics.

Since the batteries are 2 x 7.5 amphour SLAs and can supply the preamp for 18 hrs, the overheating could well be caused by batteries at the end of their life. Maybe you should have a look at battery condition as a cause of the charger circuit being on continuously and thus running hot?

That is 104 F with inside temp. at 68. Interesting about the power supply they too are warm but not as. On both of these unit's to power down is to just unplug the power supply which leaves no back-up at all, is this what should happen? If yes then what is the real benefit using them? I do have everything pluged into a ac line conditioneer. The coherence 1 and the coh. 1 series ll both using power supply's are stated by JF not to mix to preamp. Both unit's look the same with a upgrade i quess. Wish i had more knowledge on this these are wonderful machines. Always thankful for you help!

Over heating from bad batteries makes a lot of sense. What is the best way to check these type of batteries? I have another problem with the series ll, the line stage is fine but the right phono channel is not working. I can hear a faint hiss at speaker but nothing else. Can it be a bad module? and are they a plug n play type? Always many thanks.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.