2db maybe more lower channel? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd October 2013, 11:36 PM   #21
almc224 is offline almc224  Puerto Rico
diyAudio Member

I'll check the wires, even though I already did that. Then again, I'm human. Also, could it be my amp isn't congruent with my speakers, AMP Crest V900/ Bose 901? Not all AMP work well with all speakers. Maybe my amp is for live use, and not for home stereo use? It was a gift to me.

Last edited by almc224; 3rd October 2013 at 11:38 PM.
Old 3rd October 2013, 11:39 PM   #22
llwhtt is offline llwhtt  United States
diyAudio Member

I forgot you were using 901s, you DO have the equalizer that came with the speakers. If not they sure will sound funny and NO bass.

Craig
Old 4th October 2013, 03:42 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Yes, the 901 OEM Equalizer is installed.
Old 11th October 2013, 08:36 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

OK, guys, I give up. I'm going to have to buy a new PreAMP. I'm looking at a Peavey PV8. Remember, just for home use, home CD/DVD recording., and just listening to music.
I'd love your recommendations
Remember, I have a set of Bose 901 with the OEM EQ. A Crest 900V AMP, two Sony CD/DVD.
And an awesome collection of LP, CD (5,000+ strong).
Old 11th October 2013, 09:50 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by almc224 View Post
...just for home use, home CD/DVD recording., and just listening to music....
So why are you considering live band equipment like a stage mixer for a stereo preamp, for goodness sakes? This has to be about the noisiest, low-fi way to listen to music at home, unless home is an auditorium that needs a PA system to get enough sound power.

Of course, if you want the multiple channels and effects, I guess you can do whatever you want but it seems like about the worst way to go for personal entertainment.
Old 11th October 2013, 11:01 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Finch View Post
So why are you considering live band equipment like a stage mixer for a stereo preamp, for goodness sakes? This has to be about the noisiest, low-fi way to listen to music at home, unless home is an auditorium that needs a PA system to get enough sound power.

Of course, if you want the multiple channels and effects, I guess you can do whatever you want but it seems like about the worst way to go for personal entertainment.
OK mate, what do you recommend? That advice came from the Peavey Web site , Yes, from their web site. They just want to sell, period. I gave them all the info needed. This was their recommendation. So, any advice will be appreciated mate.
Old 18th October 2013, 07:12 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

As you find, if you ask a manufacturer of live sound equipment for advice on home stereo equipment, they can only advise based on their product range - or (unlikely) suggest another manufacturer.

Traditionally, stereo power amplifiers are teamed with matched appearance preamplifiers, and the connectors are simple twin RCA stereo leads with a few balanced leads, as you see in pro. equipment like your power amp. Separate amplifier/preamplifier combinations are considered up-maket and are usually expensive, even though they may be no better than an integrated amplifier of similar specification. To make choices, you need to know what the main type of connections between your source DVD, CD, media player/recorder etc. will be. Most affordable equipment uses RCA connectors and it makes little sense to buy equipment with only balanced line inputs if all sources are unbalanced (RCA) type. However, smaller, cheaper and more modern products which do lots more with digital stuff are now everywhere and available.

I have recently suggested this product to a client: DacMagic Plus Digital to Analogue Converter for Digital Music
but this bigger one is my choice for the most features and is just so cool: Stream Magic 6 - Upsampling Network Music Player for Audio Streaming.

No, they aren't old designs at cheap bargain prices, but they are absolutely great value for all the flexibility and up-to-date, quality digital facilities. Balanced lines are fitted as well. There will also be simpler, non-digital equipment on Ebay from China for as little as $100 if you have a limited budget. A friend bought this simple, 3 input, remote controlled preamp recently and is very happy, considering the simplicity. This is the Ebay ref. no:120768999130 (use Google etc.)

OK, perhaps you were looking for something more conventional? There are lots of choices among old preamps but are the many, seldom used knobs and switches really needed with digital sources and processing? Your choice but seriously, take a close look at modern systems as the way to go.
If you want more complex signal routing and comprehensive old-school tone controls, it would be better to buy used because that gear is expensive but usually not worth anywhere near the money asked, when used for digital sources, IMHO.

If nothing else, I hope to have given you a wider perspective on what can be used for preamplifiers. I build and sell only a few amplifiers so I'm suggesting popular choices for home use that I see now. That doesn't mean you should do the same but just be aware of what really suits your needs and pocket best. Some old preamps, designed for the vinyl era and cassette tape players, are noisy and no good for anything any more.

All this assumes you have access to the equipment, which I have no way of knowing. Good luck and look at what equipment is current, rather than what has passed. Unless you really are a DIY audio guy, repairing equipment may not be for you.

Last edited by Ian Finch; 18th October 2013 at 07:16 AM.
Old 18th October 2013, 11:34 AM   #28
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

These DACs are obviously intended for connecting other digital sources.
How does one connect:
TV?
DAB radio?
USB socketed Source?

I see dig1, dig2 and USB inputs
Can multiple digital sources be connected? more than 3?
Old 19th October 2013, 04:00 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Answers to these questions vary according to age and type of source equipment.

TV is strange - I have a 1 year old Panasonic TV that is a sea of connectors, no optical or coax, just connectors I cant be bothered to experiment with yet. The HDMI connections are for HT only, but you need stereo audio out for use with these DACs. Some TVs are still only fitted with AV (analog) RCA connectors for stereo audio. You can always take digital stereo from the optical/coax output of your HT receiver though - perhaps this is what was intended?

DAB radio tuners are only digital in DAB mode, and only if fitted with a digital output. Cambridge 651T has it, 650T doesn't but both tuner models have a fancy Wolfson DAC to render it as analog stereo, like the FM/AM sections still are. You could say that with typical DAB sound quality, that makes it a waste of time!

The number of USB inputs though, can be extended via a Hub, since the input streams are identified and controlled in firmware. They work just like any newer DAC which can recognize the source item, show options, a table of contents, playlist etc.
This may involve buying USBA/USBA leads to suit, if you don't already have plenty.

When I have used these model, it was for temporary connection and demo, so the issue of more connections than 3 hasn't arisen yet for me. It works fine with internet digital radio streaming, squeezebox, memory cards and USB sticks that are compatible with media players etc. Unfortunately, learning to use some these players and keeping track of their capabilities from one brand/type to another is a real chore.
Old 20th October 2013, 08:24 AM   #30
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Thanks.
Obviously not yet as simple as analogue interconnects.

Hide this!Advertise here!