test tones on CD?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2003
I am interested in making a CD with various test tones, like sine signals at various levels and frequencies, different kinds of random noises, l/r channel sweeping tones, etc, and record it on CD.

Does anyone know where I can get such a beast or to make one?

Thanks.

Bruel and Kjaer

I had a B&K microphone marketing disk that was just wonderful.

The 1st half was an eclectic sampling of music recorded with the microphone product.

The second half was all test tones. Lots of good tones at different reference levels, Full scale, -10, 15, -dB from full scale, sweeps and the such. The part I really liked was a selection of third octave filtered noise bursts. These were great to use with a simple SPL meter for checking frequency response.

Unfortunately I lent it, along with my SM-67 to a person who claims to have last both (pig-dog). Although the original disk was a freebee, I'd gladly pay to replace it, finding it has been the problem. (Has anyone seen it?)

I have Denon disk too. I had some problems with the referencing the full-scale tones and never really went back to it (likely my fault but…), except to listen to the Japanese description of compact disc history.

Making test cd's.

Hi All,
Those who can't make it themselves should take up Jens offer.
The others who can , could download the free version of Cool Edit and make the test signals themselves and burn it to CD. It's easy and accurate.
I am not sure if you can make square waves with Cool Edit.
Jens can you do this for me? Either post it or email me a wave file with say 1 second of a 1Khz square wave . I can extend it with an editor here.
You could email it to me at amadhavan(at)eth.net
You will have to edit out the (at) and put in the @ of course.
Thanks.
ashok.

If you want to get the best results try this:
Philips SBC429 Audio signals disc (4822 397 30184). It is a computer generated CD with o.a. frequency sweeps, testtones for distortion measurements, intermodulation, signal to noise measurements etc.

If you want to measure low levels of distortion you need to get rid of the foldback signal residue above 20 kHz. There is also a passive 8th order Cauer filter to this (4822 395 30204). I do not know if it is still available but is was expensive.

Success!

Ward

Hi,

Besides the .wav generating programs mentioned, here you can download Goldwave: http://www.goldwave.com

I contains an equation editor where you can fill in a mathematical function to generate a .wav file. And yes you can make pure digital squares as well as 20 kHz band limited squares (by using a Fourier sequence)

And here is the good old Audiotester: http://www.audiotester.de

With a neat sweep generator build in and various noise and pulse sources.

Cheers ;)

tone length

Dear Jens,

All the test CDs I have seen have tone track lengths that are too short to do any fiddling with things before the track ends. Personally, I'd like sine wave tone tracks throughout the spectrum that last at last a minute at the very least.

Thanks for this effort,

Norman

Edit it.

Hi Norman,
You can record the track you want on to hard disk. Then use any wave editor ( Cool Edit , wavelab etc ) and open the recorded file into it. Then just select the section you want and copy and past it after the end of the first section. Then select this longer section and copy / past to the end of the modified section. Do this a few times and you can get any length you want. Then burn it on a fresh CDR.
Note that you should be careful to select from the 'zero crossing ' point at the beginning and the end. This however should already be in order in the original first section, in which case it will not be an issue at all.
Cheers.

I have for many years used "Soundcheck" buy Alan Parsons.....
Besides frequency and noise tones, it got samples of many different real instruments (bass, guitars and drums etc.), but it also contains "real world" sounds like a steam train, thunder, a jetfighter breaking the sound barrier and the fireing of a large
tank kanon ;)

It really impressive to hear the "real world" sounds at very high level... (even though that pictures and other stuff are falling down from my living room walls during testing :D )

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.