pre / power advice needed!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I have an MF - E100 amp which is great, but in the spirit of upgraditis, I was wondering what it would be like to buy another power-amp and bi-amp my speakers. The E100 has links on the back to couple the pre to the power amp. Is there any way to just "Y" cable this to both old and new power amps - or is there another piece of kit I need to do this?
I'm guessing I can't just use the tapeouts as I would have no volume control of the new power-amp.
Is this an either/or situation in regard to another pre-amp, or is there a way to use both power amps??

Thanks,
Paul.

I'm assuming you will be putting an active crossover between the pre-amp outs and power amp in on that amp, and whatever other amp you use. But basically, yes, you should be able to just split those pre-amp outputs and connect them to another power amp assuming it is capable of driving all the power amps. Should be no problem with a crossover in there.

Bi-Amping (not active crossovers)

If your speakers are bi-wirable then you can simply make
up a split cables or use 1into2 phono adaptors for the cables
to the amps.

Note the power amplifiers must have the same sensistivity,
if they don't you need to add a level control to the one with
more gain.

Bi-amping isn't the most efficient way of using power. Simply
by high pass filtering the feed to the treble amplifier you can
get away with a smaller amplifier than the bass unit needs.
A first order filter set at 750Hz would work.

:) sreten.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.