pre / power advice needed! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2003, 05:14 PM   #1
RevF is offline RevF  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: UK
Question pre / power advice needed!

I have an MF - E100 amp which is great, but in the spirit of upgraditis, I was wondering what it would be like to buy another power-amp and bi-amp my speakers. The E100 has links on the back to couple the pre to the power amp. Is there any way to just "Y" cable this to both old and new power amps - or is there another piece of kit I need to do this?
I'm guessing I can't just use the tapeouts as I would have no volume control of the new power-amp.
Is this an either/or situation in regard to another pre-amp, or is there a way to use both power amps??

  Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2003, 06:29 PM   #2
diyAudio Member
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Harlowton, MT, USA
I'm assuming you will be putting an active crossover between the pre-amp outs and power amp in on that amp, and whatever other amp you use. But basically, yes, you should be able to just split those pre-amp outputs and connect them to another power amp assuming it is capable of driving all the power amps. Should be no problem with a crossover in there.
- "With power amplifiers, negative feedback is a good thing, and positive feedback can induce destructive oscillation, but with people, positive feedback is a good thing, and negative feedback can induce destructive oscillation"
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2003, 12:57 PM   #3
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member RIP
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Brighton UK
Default Bi-Amping (not active crossovers)

If your speakers are bi-wirable then you can simply make
up a split cables or use 1into2 phono adaptors for the cables
to the amps.

Note the power amplifiers must have the same sensistivity,
if they don't you need to add a level control to the one with
more gain.

Bi-amping isn't the most efficient way of using power. Simply
by high pass filtering the feed to the treble amplifier you can
get away with a smaller amplifier than the bass unit needs.
A first order filter set at 750Hz would work.

  Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2003, 11:11 PM   #4
B.VDBOS is offline B.VDBOS  New Zealand
diyAudio Member
B.VDBOS's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Have you seen this?
  Reply With Quote


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pioneer A400 pre-power seperation advice needed metako Solid State 17 1st June 2009 12:28 PM
5U4 Darling power TX advice needed waam68 Tubes / Valves 2 14th December 2008 07:15 PM
Advice needed about Lexsen power - photo attached Brit01 Solid State 2 28th July 2008 09:05 AM
HV SS bench top power supply, advice needed panos29 Tubes / Valves 11 19th December 2006 07:06 AM
Advice Needed - Power supply for Ack! dAck! TonyDasilva Digital Source 2 17th July 2005 12:50 AM

New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 12:35 PM.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2017 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2