Amp causes speaker distortion

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Apologies if this is the wrong forum for this but I'm a bit of a dummy when it comes to this stuff. Anyway, I have a pair of Wharfedale Linton speakers connected to a Mission Cyrus One amp. Recently I've noticed that the right-hand speaker distorts on loud bassy sections of music. I can't see anything wrong with the speaker and if I switch the cables to use the same channel but through the left-hand cable and speaker the distortion appears there instead.

So everything points to a fault in the amp output, but how can it be that the amp can't cope with some types of music and volume? Can't quite get my head around this but I HAVE had other issues with the amp recently - most notably having to use a separate pre-amp to work around a problem with the phono intputs, so is it just reaching the end of its natural life? Ironically the speakers are 34 years old but still sound great apart from when affected by this issue.

Any advice most appreciated.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
........So everything points to a fault in the amp output, but how can it be that the amp can't cope with some types of music and volume? Can't quite get my head around this but I HAVE had other issues with the amp recently - most notably having to use a separate pre-amp to work around a problem with the phono intputs, so is it just reaching the end of its natural life? Ironically the speakers are 34 years old but still sound great apart from when affected by this issue.....
A Mission Cyrus 1 is going to be on it's last legs now in any event, regarding components that naturally deteriorate, i.e. electrolytic capacitors. It's possible that faults with those may also lead to semiconductors breaking down too, as a secondary effect. Heeding the signs at an early stage and catching the fault at the capacitor level however, saves a lot of grief.

Cyrus 1 is a minor treasure amongst small amplifiers and a schematic is preserved at "The Class A Amplifier Site" now hosted by Rod Elliott on his own ESP site, if you need to access it. Perhaps a re-cap is not impossible for you or perhaps a capable friend if it seems too daunting. Either way, there is no need to scrap a working amplifier for want of a service.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.