First amp project?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, I've searched around a bit but didn't find much. :) I want to build an amplifier, it will by first amp and my first real electronics project.
I understand the basics of different types of amps and I am very interested in class D, though that it may be too difficult to build properly at my level (I've made some triangle gens, that's my progress for class D :p ).
I don't think I could design something that is better than what is already out there ;) so I am open to simply taking an existing schematic, designing my own PCB and assembling it.
My only amplifier experience has been the typical opamp driving push-pull BJT outputs for a school project. I would prefer something that would be cheap to build. I already have some components, and a dual secondary toroid, and some old mains transformers.

So I guess I am looking for some nice ideas, or suggestions as to what kind of topologies can be made to sound okay. :)

Class D is pretty much out of range of the hobbyist unless you are buying pre-assembled modules.

You might try looking at some of Destroyer X's amplifier projects.. they are all good, have pcb layouts already, and most of them have a fairly low parts count.

Check out Shaan's PeeCeeBee thread. Board layouts have been done by several members and parts count is low while having similar character to the VSSA promoted by LazyCat and others.

I'd suggest going for a proven layout, I've learned much here but layout is quite an art.

I've looked at destroyer x, and the PeeCeeBee. Both seem a bit too advanced for me. I've tried to build a gainclone before and kinda gave up on it, I may go back to that again.
I will look into what chipamps are the best. LM3886 was what I had and I think that is the one most people know. Any recommendations or experience in that field? :)

Jakob, build a IC amplifier is very simple. You must make it to get used to soldering circuits though.

You could start with a very simple amplifier even though it may be not that good. I never found something like this, but someone here could tell... If you want to get started with discrete amplifiers may be a good idea start with a DC controller using transistor to get the basics...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.