Monifying a Denon POA-800

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello guys... great job you're doing here...

So, let's see...
I have bought a Denon POA-800(power amp) from ebay, I don't know exactly how old it is but I would expect 8 years. Compared to my Denon AVR-1802(receiver) it sounds much better(using Denon or the analog outputs of my Audiophile 2496 as a preamp), and I was wondering if I could make it even better...

Near the inputs I could see an opamp(6458D / 1F0). I searched the web and didn't find many things about it, so don't know about it's quality. I think it is built by Sanyo. Do you guys know anything about it? Do you think it is worth upgrading it to a better opamp?

Also, there are 2 caps 10000 uF at 50V made by Marcom, rated up to 85C(temperature). Considering the age of the amp do you think I could get any advantage upgrading them?

BTW, the amplification stage is using 2SA1302/2SC3281

Thank you so much... :)

Hey Jan, thanks for your fast answer :D

So, I should be changing this caps... Good to know.
Any recommandations what to use? Brand? I suppose this change doesn't imply any other change... am I right?
What about that opamp? Do you think changing it for one of the best opamp these days, will this make any difference?

Thanks...

And for the mods now, if you can change the subject of the thread, it should read be like "Modifying a Denon POA-800". Thanks.

I don't recall the name of the new caps I used, but as I recall they where quite ordinary from the local cap-pusher;) ..
Before I changed these, I had the problem that the protection system got activated because the rail voltages dropped during high power peaks.. Afterwards there was no problems :)

I never changed any opamps in my POA's, however i recall that I have replaced some small capacitors in the input section to better types..........

Do you have the schematic for the POA-800???

Thanks for the info
icon14.gif
. I'll start looking for some 22,000uf caps with a little more voltage. Thanks again John:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.