VSSA 50

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Last week i put together LC VSSA module with +/-36Vdc rail as i had 300va 2x25vac stock trafo. As i wrote it in vendor bazar thread, this module as some magic in how and reproduce sound with natural, detail, live sound. The "issue" (it's a really one??)for me is the samll amout of power comparating to the speaker that i use. Power volume button is turn on 2/3 to 3/4 from total possibility without having a really lound level. So the idea for me is to use 2 another stock trafo : Rcore 500Va 2x36vac (2x120 pri), that give my +/-50Vdc on rail in VSSA 104 public schematic.

As answer Lc that need small changes :
-First swap entry bjt to higher Vceo one : BC546/556 but is there an issue to use B grad instead C that are obsolet
-second change ALF08NP16 to ALF16N16 and ALF16P16 combo
-change R7, R8 to 10K : ihave difficultie to identify them as there's no numerotation on 1.4 schematic
-handel to ouput bias i suppose i have to swap from 182mA (2 die) to 364mA (4 die)

So that are questions turning in my head...in answer waiting time i take eagle rout as i've been more aware with it than with parts and schematic adaptation.

Under first attemp to layout

Attachments

• VSSA_50_V1_sch.png
    VSSA_50_V1_sch.png
    21.3 KB · Views: 1,979
  • VSSA_50_V1_brd2.png
    VSSA_50_V1_brd2.png
    30.4 KB · Views: 1,916
  • VSSA_50_V1_brd.png
    VSSA_50_V1_brd.png
    43 KB · Views: 1,843
Last edited:
Can i change ALF with SK1058/sj162 ?

Didiet

They have not the same package and not same rating : To264 versus To3P and 16 versus 8A. ALF16 are double die in same package. One pair 1058/162 won't be enough for +/-50Vvdc rail voltage. Bur one ALF running i don't sink there is issue to modify layout icluding 2 pair 1058/162 and will do it if there is some interest

Can i change ALF with SK1058/sj162 ?

Didiet
Hi kang Didiet,
use 2 pairs K1058/J162 :D but for lower voltage you can use it.
I made 2 pairs output version layout but not tested yet...

They have not the same package and not same rating : To264 versus To3P and 16 versus 8A. ALF16 are double die in same package. One pair 1058/162 won't be enough for +/-50Vvdc rail voltage. Bur one ALF running i don't sink there is issue to modify layout icluding 2 pair 1058/162 and will do it if there is some interest
Hi Idefixes,
thanks for pointing out the difference SK/SJ & ALF16...
(may I post for 2 pairs output with K1058/J162, I need some comment)
I must give it a try too with higher voltage...
I have only K1058/J162 combo, for +/-45VDC we can still use BC550-560
for +/-50VDC why not try 2SC/SA combo...
LC answer me twice(at SSA & VSSA) about the hFE of input pair,
suggested value of 600+ hFE to get better gain per stage performance

Last edited:
Last week i put together LC VSSA module with +/-36Vdc rail as i had 300va 2x25vac stock trafo. As i wrote it in vendor bazar thread, this module as some magic in how and reproduce sound with natural, detail, live sound. The "issue" (it's a really one??)for me is the samll amout of power comparating to the speaker that i use. Power volume button is turn on 2/3 to 3/4 from total possibility without having a really lound level. So the idea for me is to use 2 another stock trafo : Rcore 500Va 2x36vac (2x120 pri), that give my +/-50Vdc on rail in VSSA 104 public schematic.

As answer Lc that need small changes :
-First swap entry bjt to higher Vceo one : BC546/556 but is there an issue to use B grad instead C that are obsolet
-second change ALF08NP16 to ALF16N16 and ALF16P16 combo
-change R7, R8 to 10K : ihave difficultie to identify them as there's no numerotation on 1.4 schematic
-handel to ouput bias i suppose i have to swap from 182mA (2 die) to 364mA (4 die)

So that are questions turning in my head...in answer waiting time i take eagle rout as i've been more aware with it than with parts and schematic adaptation.

Under first attemp to layout

I want to follow these thread closely since I have some high power (dual die) LatFET from EXICON and Class D to.
Hopping one day I can put them in good use.
After you test the amp I hope you can share the layout with us..:)
Thank you for the feedback on the Zenquito amplifier on the VSSA thread (I do have 4PC stuffed PC board to also a pair Grand MOS clone)...
Tough I did never tested (powered up) those, I have a feeling to me VSSA the way to go..:D
Greetings G

I want to follow these thread closely since I have some high power (dual die) LatFET from EXICON and Class D to.
Hopping one day I can put them in good use.
After you test the amp I hope you can share the layout with us..:)
Thank you for the feedback on the Zenquito amplifier on the VSSA thread (I do have 4PC stuffed PC board to also a pair Grand MOS clone)...
Tough I did never tested (powered up) those, I have a feeling to me VSSA the way to go..:D
Greetings G

Hi,

For sure i will share if there is an interest to. But first i need help to achieve mutation from VSSA 1.4 to VSSA 50. Without there will be no VSSA 50 alive.
One more time LC VSSA puppies are mouvelous pieces of amp....that's what Melody Gardot said me today after lunch time : in one of her first album there is some passages with children taken in the background...that was so realistic that i turn my head to room door while thinking it was mine coming down in the house basement

Marc

Last edited:
One more time LC VSSA puppies are mouvelous pieces of amp....that's what Melody Gardot said me today after lunch time : in one of her first album there is some passages with children taken in the background...that was so realistic that i turn my head to room door while thinking it was mine coming down in the house basement.

My friend who had my VSSA amp for a few days in his system, also found many new informations from music well known to him. For instance in Pink Floyd's title "Another Brick In The Wall (Part II)" he showed me a guy in the background accompany the children singing "Hey teacher leave us kids alone". This and many more details were clearly and easily revealed by VSSA, as he didn't notice before, although having many high resolutive amps like Naim, Gain Clone, T-amp etc.

Also by his words the Nigel Kennedy's Vivaldi: The Four Seasons concert never sounded so alive and vivid. Harpsichord in the background is presented with all small transients and harmonics. Many amps presents this concert as hardly listenable material was his words.

Guess what, after a week he called me and ordered two VSSA modules. :D

Lately, when performing presentations on different locations I encountered many heavy league amps having tens of output transistors, weighted 30+ kg, all famous names on their front panels, big bucks to pay, but sadly found their musical presentation from average to poor. Bottom line is people buy them as all these claims they're the best. :scratch2:

I am sorry but I don't understand: "The issue (it's really one??) ... samll", question.

Please Marc, explain. ;)

It's more a compliment for VSSA, understand "it is not a issue" just a personnal tast : VSSA as i explain it many time is so sweet and sound so good too me hear that the fact"power is a bit low for my speakers" is a little bit frustrating for me...For some of CD i would like to push sound a mittle more on power...If there wasn't "this little frustration" i hadn't any interest to VSSA 50. For sure i could by two SMPS400 with -/+45dvc but as i explain i have a couple more 500Va Rcore (i bought 5u at 30% initial price)...
LC don't misunderstand through my bad english : up today it's the amp that give me the most pleasure. If i can't achieve functionnal VSSA 50 i will have to build higher sensitivity speakers more in adequation with your VSSA module.

Marc

While i was reding one more time whole VSSA thread i think i found answer to one of my interrogation : it's handel on R7 and R8 These are JFET-CCS resistor in fact multiturn TY93 on my board. So i redrawn schematic with new and more clean parts numerotation.

A this time the output bias for ALF16N(P)16 question and BC556/546 has no clear answer...

Today i order 4 vishay 10uf MKT in case of project achieving

Marc

Attachments

• VSSA_50_V2_sch.png
    VSSA_50_V2_sch.png
    51.9 KB · Views: 1,020
  • VSSA_50_V2_brd2.png
    VSSA_50_V2_brd2.png
    69.4 KB · Views: 989
  • VSSA_50_V2_brd.png
    VSSA_50_V2_brd.png
    92.2 KB · Views: 799
Marc, I have a better advice to you, with this one you'll hit two flies with one swat. Listen, in the mean time waiting on First Oné to arrive, why don't you build a speakers with high efficiency and in september you will have new speakers and a new amp. All kinds of combination possible among four of them. :wiz:

Hi LC,

Why not...It could be faster than it look as i have a three way in building process : I have speakers (Fountek JP3/Cquenz 15h52sdkm/Peerless HDS205 nomex), and filter parts. Enclosure are allready at 2/3 build but i am not satisfied with actual building...it's not at speaker engaged level....
But with these speakers...Oné will perhaps not be usefull due speakers level involve....The question will be more could i resist to Oné call.....:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Marc

Last edited:

fab

Joined 2004
Paid Member
While i was reding one more time whole VSSA thread i think i found answer to one of my interrogation : it's handel on R7 and R8 These are JFET-CCS resistor in fact multiturn TY93 on my board. So i redrawn schematic with new and more clean parts numerotation.

A this time the output bias for ALF16N(P)16 question and BC556/546 has no clear answer...

Today i order 4 vishay 10uf MKT in case of project achieving

Marc

I think the 2N5462 is a 40v max device...

Fab

Hi LC,

Why not...It could be faster than it look as i have a three way in building process :

Nice :up:

I know it takes a lot of effort to complete any DIY speaker project. I think that the main problem by DIYing speakers is its crossover fine tuning for speaker to sound just right. Usually that is best known compromise since the room and subjective impressions are included. For me it would be necessary to have 100% tested design from the guys profesionally doing it on everyday's basis like Troels Gravesen does. :)

Nice :up:

I know it takes a lot of effort to complete any DIY speaker project. I think that the main problem by DIYing speakers is its crossover fine tuning for speaker to sound just right. Usually that is best known compromise since the room and subjective impressions are included. For me it would be necessary to have 100% tested design from the guys profesionally doing it on everyday's basis like Troels Gravesen does. :)

Hi LC,

The crossover shown on my web page is comming from mesure process from a friend of mine (Well Known on french forum). He more than 10 years experience in that field. His version was with eton 12 as mine is with HDS205. Just for story : Cquenz 15Hsdkm was at bigening a speaker unit that was custom made for him on his specifications. Since Audiothechnology put this speaker on there catalog. Even if the result don't be perfectible to my hear i have an another friend that is fully equiped for speaker mesuring. He ingenieer many speakers too since many year (winner from a zaph contest...)So due all this fact i really aware with this project. I just will go for a new enclosure that take me less time to build....

Even i participate to another speaker project by building raw MDF (ready to finish) Speaker cab. It's a collaborative project on a french forum : Wavecore tweeter, Scanspeak discovery for Midwoofer and woofer. The project has two possibility : a bookshelve speaker at 87 real db and a 2.5way version by adding woofer and grabbing 90db...I build cab for a member that bought and send me driver unit. My other frien will take relay and go for mesure process, filter buiding and fine tuning. This speaker could be a beast to....

Marc

Last edited:
Hi Idefixes
You have fine projekts but many (If it was me too many).
Because i see your very fine preamp with balanced output, you could speed Down projekts by ordering one pair more VSSA from Andrej. Set them up as "metallicus69 post1660 suggestion in Andrej's thread".
Then you have more power to your present speakers, and a even better common mode (return point from speakers not injected to common mode).
BR Ricky

Hi Idefixes
You have fine projekts but many (If it was me too many).
Because i see your very fine preamp with balanced output, you could speed Down projekts by ordering one pair more VSSA from Andrej. Set them up as "metallicus69 post1660 suggestion in Andrej's thread".
Then you have more power to your present speakers, and a even better common mode (return point from speakers not injected to common mode).
BR Ricky

Hi Ricky,

Yes i know i have to many, that's why i go yet for more simple things...Projects are at 90% time coming from meeting (internet or real life) people...That not handel only on diy building....

Marc

Last edited:
Hi Idefixes
Down projekts by ordering one pair more VSSA from Andrej. Set them up as "metallicus69 post1660 suggestion in Andrej's thread".
BR Ricky

Maybe i test that with peeceebee ou BG1-bjt because i have enough parts layout around here to do it than buying one more LC VSSA...i would prefer put extra budget on Oné new prevision...

Marc

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.