Cyrus II Hum problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recently bought a Cyrus 2 amplifier and PSX power supply (early model, button style switch), and noticed mains hum, particularly noticeable with no audio playing.

At first I thought this might be related to a ground loop with my computer, and thus built a simple differential amplifier which removed most of the hum, but a small amount still remains.

This occurs even with no inputs connected, and the input selector set to 'O' (off/mute). It is not affected by the setting of the volume control, and occurs using both speakers and headphones.

Before I attempt to replace all or most of the capacitors, I wanted to make sure this isn't expected behaviour, or whether there is some other cause that is more likely.

Them voltage reg's get fair hot and the best way to solve this is to bolt them to the main chassis and run small wires back to the pcb that way your replacement pre-amp cap's will not dry out again, I recall doing this on the cyrus 2 may years ago with the same problem.

Cyrus 2 buzz

Got an old Cyrus 2 + psx that has been unused for 15 years... plugged it in and seems to still work but when volume is turned all the way down I get random noise clicks, buzzes... it sounds a little like a digital glitch, but like when u have poor signal on a mobile phone... it’s not constant just comes in randomly. I noticed that when I fiddle with the phono ground I also get glitches, like a bad connection .
Any idea ? I’m thinking of selling the amp with the psx so would like to repair it.
Thanks !

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.