Sulzer-Borbely SB-1 regulator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I'm planning to build a few active crossover (4x low-pass, 3x high-pass, using 25 OPA627's).

The power supply I have in mind is the Sulzer-Borbely SB-1 regulator.

Design: http://www.hitechnetworks.net/bwaldron/audioelectronics/sb1_regulator.htm

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I planned to use a few 470µF/50V SXE capacitors instead of the 4700µF/35V capacitor's in the schematic, but in another thread they told me that was NOT a good idea.

Since I don't have any experience with this kind of power supplies (usually I just use some regulator's, decoupling etc), I would like to know what kind of capacitors I should use in this design to get the best performance. (and don't say I have to use black gate 4700µF capacitor's but just "normal" components please).

Can anyone help me with that?

And about the two transistors: 2N2905 and 2N1711, since they have BIG trouble loading the capacitors at the output, can anyone recommend me better ones? With the same performance but better current capabilities?

Thnx in advance!

Grtz, Joris

Here`s a schematic you should take look at, the op-amps supply, voltage is taken from the regulated output, providing much better S/N. My simulation showed 30-35dB improvement, compared to standard regulators (as yours) and the 50Hz component was in the uV-area (with the ac voltage source).

Vout=D9*(1+R17/R3).

I found it somewhere on this forum, but I`ve lost the URL.

Try it out ;) !

Attachments

• power.gif
    power.gif
    34.1 KB · Views: 1,046
schematic needed

Gentlemen, the link to the website is no longer avilable. I have in my possession some pcb's that were based on the schematic and layout provided by the people who originally maintained the ESL information exchange.

Unfortunately, I dont have the schematic nor the parts list and I hope that perhaps one of you gentlemen retained or kept a copy. I would appreciate it if you could upload the schematic or send it to me by e-mail.

Many thanks in advance.

JD Goonting

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.