EI core transformer for step-up PSU - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th December 2003, 09:51 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default EI core transformer for step-up PSU

I want to make my amps work in my car. I understand how to make a high frequency oscillator. Could I take 2 115vac 25v transformers and use them to turn 12v into +/- 57v? I would use the secondaries as primaries and vice versa. I should expect increased performance and power handling at 30Khz right?
Old 8th December 2003, 11:21 PM   #2
AJT is offline AJT  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator

you have to use a 60hz modified sine wave inverter or an inverter to convert 12vdc car battery voltage to 110 volts ac...
Old 8th December 2003, 11:45 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

hmmmm...never tried it bfore...makes sense when u're running it at higher frequencies it would not saturate if it's designed for 60Hz....but skin effect??
Old 8th December 2003, 11:48 PM   #4
Banned

Send a message via MSN to SkinnyBoy
mains transformers are designed for 50 or 60Hz... you really couldn't run them at anything higher than like 100Hz without running into problems.. you need to wind your own transformer, or find one ready made that is suitable for high frequencies..
Old 9th December 2003, 01:16 AM   #5
hacknet is offline hacknet  Singapore
diyAudio Member

why not get yourselves one of those computer powersupplies. strip the toridal and use the feedback to control the voltage.... i might be as simple as a 555 IC connected to a couple of mosfets into the transformer....
Old 9th December 2003, 11:41 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

The 555 thingy cpould work...but u will have no fedback...meaning u have to set the voltage under the intended load...be careful with em...
Old 9th December 2003, 04:19 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I really don't need feedback. My amp is happy with unregulated rails. I wanted some kind of pre-fab transformer because winding toroids is a PITA.
Old 9th December 2003, 04:29 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Grab a Toroid from a PSU and re-wind it...I dun think it's a really good idea to use a 50/60Hz Trafo for SMPSU work...

Hide this!Advertise here!