Sure class T or Destroyer X?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been contemplating building my own multichannel amplifier for an upcoming active speaker project and I'm torn..

What do you guys think would be a better option, building an 8 channel amplifier with these

Edit: that url doesn't seem to work.. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-100W-1...mplifier_Parts_Components&hash=item2c68d368d9

Edit 2 neither does that one, what the hell...2pcs 100W+100W DIYAudio "destroyer X" DXAMP Amplifier kit

or with these:

I'm not completely decided on a power supply either, but I'm prepared to plan for whichever ends up being better for whichever amplifier design.

I appreciate any and all input on this.

Last edited:
Tweeters don't need the same amount of power that the woofer does.

Mid-range is in between.

That may be, but in building a multichannel amplifier, I have two issues with regard to uneven power.

First, I don't think they make any amplifier boards that are different from one channel to the next. Second, if I ever used this amplifier for anything else, I'd want all the channels to match in power output and sonic character.

my 2c - buy one T-amp and build one DX-amp and see which one you like. You're making a fundamental system choice and I wouldn't rely on opinions read on the internet.

In favour of the DX - it's fun to build if you're into DIY amps, has a very good reputation, isn't obsolete (like T-chips), you'll be able to repair it, change it or whatever more easily if you want to.

In favour of the T-amp - if you're not into DIY amps you can buy the modules and spend your time focussed on the system issues such as cross-overs etc. Buy a spare one.

Well, it looks like the DX amp is out. I was browsing the designer's site today and it seems that the DX amp kits that are on e-bay aren't endorsed by him, so I'd rather not purchase a chinese copy of questionable integrity, no matter how attractive the price.

I guess the search is on for a decent real transistor-based amplifier kit. I'd like to built a 6 channel amplifier for these active speakers I'm working on, but so far the only options are 1. Sure boards..which I'm still not completely convinced on... 2. Something from Holton Precision...beautiful but expensive.. or 3.) try to borrow the college's circuit CNC machine and really build a few proper pairs of DX amps.

Unless there's a kit somewhere I haven't seen yet that's not based on switching chips..

Joined 2010
Paid Member
This is DIY so option 3. would be great and actually, unusual among forum amplifiers that we see. It would be good to hear your comments and conclusions and perhaps compare the results with the more useful posts on DX's threads.

FWIW, the Epay sites have many discrete amplifier kits and PCBs available. Jim's Audio Store does sell an approved version PCB of DX's larger Blame amp with 3 pairs of output transistors, IIRC.

There are several threads here discussing the merits or otherwise of Epay and other source kits. Search ljm-ljm's threads here and the commercial sector threads if you need a hint where to start looking. From experience, LJM's kit designs work OK. Some, like prebuilt L12 models are fantastic performers whilst other cheaper kits may not be too wonderful, depending on your end use.
Good luck with the CNC milling. :)

I'm a bit in the same boat as the original poster.
I've looked at the L12 and it looks interesting but it also looks like its also subject to clones by the cloners (And the risk of inferior results). Do you know of any particular trusty ebay vendor who sells a decent version so i can purchase one and tinker with it to satisfy my curiosity?

i did the sure electronics thing but i didnt like them too much.

From experience, LJM's kit designs work OK. Some, like prebuilt L12 models are fantastic performers whilst other cheaper kits may not be too wonderful, depending on your end use.

Like these, perhaps?

L12 2 Power Amplifier 2 CH Assembled Boards Heatsinks | eBay

Edit: Ugh, none of these links work!

Code:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/L12-2-Power-Amplifier-2-CH-Assembled-boards-heatsinks-/120744995234?hash=item1c1cf669a2

Good luck with the CNC milling. :)

It's an interesting option, I plan to ask one of the professors today if I'd be allowed to use it sometime. I don't think it's been configured yet, so I might just need lots of luck if I have to do it myself!

Joined 2010
Paid Member
... Do you know of any particular trusty ebay vendor who sells a decent version so i can purchase one and tinker with it to satisfy my curiosity?...
I only found a couple of suppliers and they obviously use LJM's boards and assembly. These are already discussed in the L12 thread, so read it if you are interested to know what other buyers thought.

Really, all kit suppliers are now at risk of selling inferior parts because of widespread faking. It's not in their interests to sell fake parts in their kits but fakes are keenly supported by other customers who have no clue yet cannot resist buying at the cheapest price. They still cry bitterly when their dumb choices hit home, though.

I used the same supplier as in DrDyna's lower link address and the pair are prebuilt modules mounted to small heatinks which may actually be adequate. For six channels stacked closely, Id consider a small fan or one very large sink. This is a CFP design that runs at very low, close to optimal bias and not a typical overbiased EF or class A toaster design, so heat should not be a big issue with typical domestic use.

BTW DD, you aren't the only one who has trouble posting Ebay page links. The only link that works is to the individual unit buying page, as you found. Fortunately, that has most detail.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.