Small 20 watt amp/pre

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all!
I am new to DIY and got referred to this site from Audio Asylum. I did some searching at the kits directory and did not find a small amp/pre combination. So I am posting here to ask for some direction.

I completed my first DIY speaker, the ELF 1.0 from creative sound. It sound nice and since it sits on my mantle, has pretty good bass reinforcement. I was running it on a Denon UD-M31 mini-system. But I enjoy the fun of making things and would like to try making my own "mini-system" to go with the speakers.
The only small size DIY kits I have found are Scott Nixon's stuff. His $100 20 watt mono block amps look good. I would like to hook up to a Radio Shack Alps volume pot as a passive pre and maybe his DAC kit.
Are there other suitable / better small kits available? I enjoy the sound of Creek and Musical Fidelity. NAD and Denon are not too transparent. But enjoyable to listen to nontheless. Teac reference 300 is a bit bright but nice for the money. Eventually I will build a speaker with the Jordan JX92S or the ELF1.5's.
Thanks

If you´re looking for kits specifically you can also check out Elliot Sound Pages.
Project 19&72 are "gainclones" which have good sound.
You can order PCB´s but those gainclones are also relatively easy to wire point to point.
They don´t need a preamp. You can set the gain through the combination of resistors.
Check out some threads in the "chip amp"-forum for more insight.

Cheers & Merry Xmas
Jens

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.