Marantz SR7500 - thinks it's a clock - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th June 2013, 11:52 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Marantz SR7500 - thinks it's a clock

I bought a Marantz SR 7500 off eBay. The seller sold it "for parts or not working." I do this - buy audio gear described as such. I've been lucky so far; a nice BGW amp that worked perfectly (they just didn't know how to test it) and an Onkyo receiver with a busted off volume control shaft which I fixed. I'm pretty good with a soldering iron.

The Marantz was just as the seller said. It doesn't work. It was cheap if that is any consolation. I figure that if it is repairable, I will resell it or keep it as an upgrade for one of my (I have two) Marantz SR4500's.

In my research, I found that a common problem with this unit is the dreaded "CHK POW 5" code. Well that's not it. The only thing showing up on the screen is "MULTI" and the relay on the power supply clicks at 1 CPS (Clicks Per Second) when the power button is pressed and until it is turned off. At least I think that is what the clicking the relay is, it is definitely coming from the power supply board. When plugged in, there is the usual single click from a relay but it doesn't cycle. The receiver doesn't smell like it has smoked, the caps don't look swollen but I can tell that someone has been inside by the screws that hold on the cover. They weren't factory tight and some are missing washers.

Now, I have found all kinds of stuff on the web about the chk pow 5 code but bupkis about the multi code. Is there a database of Marantz receiver codes? Does anyone have any experience with this particular problem here? I'll probably call Marantz and I'll also pick the brain of a genuine technician (Tim at Bristol Electronics in Hohokus, NJ) when I drop off a pair of 70's Marantz amps next week but I thought I'd ask.

T
Old 29th June 2013, 01:02 AM   #2
cod3gen is offline cod3gen  Norway
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to cod3gen
Have you looked at the service manual? There might be something there: Marantz SR7500 SR8500 PS7500 PS8500 Service Manual - DIYstash

Have you tried reset`ing the unit? Hit speaker a/b + multi button for 1.5sec.
Old 29th June 2013, 01:41 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I just tried resetting. No dice.
I've been fiddling with it. If I turn it on, hit power - which puts in into "tick tock" mode - then turn it off and hit the "Multi" button the display lights up, says "select source" then goes to whatever source the sousrce selector knob is in - at the moment, FM - it then diplays an FM frequency for approx. 6 seconds, then displays "Mulit Volume", then shows the volume level - 35dB for instance (which responds to the volume control) - all this time the "Multi" icon is flashing. THis screen persists for a bit then goes blank with the "Multi" icon on steadily. After a period the display goes dark. If I hit the "Multi" button the "Standby" light comes on - as it should be normally when the unit is turned off. If I hit it again the precess repeats with the display saying "Select Source" etc.

I hooked up a speaker and a short length of wire to the antenna socket to see if anything was coming out of any of the amplifier outputs. Nope. I tried the fronts and the multi-room outputs.

I'm not making this up. I really prefer the good old, non - computer controlled equipment that either worked, made horrible noises or smoked. At least you knew where you stood with them.
Old 29th June 2013, 01:46 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cod3gen View Post
Have you looked at the service manual? There might be something there: Marantz SR7500 SR8500 PS7500 PS8500 Service Manual - DIYstash

Have you tried reset`ing the unit? Hit speaker a/b + multi button for 1.5sec.
Thanks for the link. Saved me some time hunting for it. Now, if I can just get my computer to cooperate downloading the pdf file. *^%$#&#@!$ computers!
Old 29th June 2013, 11:24 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terpodion View Post
I'm not making this up. I really prefer the good old, non - computer controlled equipment that either worked, made horrible noises or smoked. At least you knew where you stood with them.
I'm with you there. Just had a look at the Arcam AVR400, which has an Ethernet port. An amplifier with a computer network connection? I ask you, where will all this madness lead us?

BTW, the PDF file for the service manual downloads fine in Firefox 21.0 on my Linux laptop.

Hide this!Advertise here!