ODNF or no GNFB power amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think to get this to work right what you need is a differential summing amplifier just to sum the input signal with the output signal and output the difference. The difference should be just the distortion product from the output stage. What you have right now is a huge amount of negative feedback summed with the input signal and output of your voltage amp.

Cheers,

No, it is not like that. At the op amp output there is only differnce between input and output, means error signal only, theoretically!

You're finding what I found trying to use this system in a Feedback amp. It just became impossible to get the stability and distortion cancellation.

Whether it's down to op amp models or not I do not know. I have given up simulating it for now but following this thread with great interest as you may find the answer.

Hi David,
I tried first .ac and nothing indicated that there is going to be problem. The otput stage has compensation C1 and C5 is in the gain stage.
But here is interesting part. I used linuxguru opamp from http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/anal...screte-opamp-open-design-294.html#post3568890 and here is result.

Thats more like it ;)

The paper I supplied you shows ODNF applied with IC opamp but actual circuit used by Luxman uses discrete opamp although I think the problem with the IC opamps in sims is due to the models. I have a ODNF amp designed and built by a acquintance that is the designer for a commercial concern and uses IC opamp which operates very well with perfect clipping behaviour and has excellent THD figures for a NGFB amp. He sold me this experimental amp as I was quite pleased with the sound. He unfortuneatly will not be pleased if I were to dismantle the amp and publish the schematics here. The frontend he uses is same topology as seen in the paper which he also originally supplied me with.

BTW luxman use the folded cascode topology for the discrete opamp in latest amps, very much like lt1468 and ad826.

When can we expect PCB design :D

This is another possibility to use similar opamp to the input gain stage but with more gain and connected as CFB opamp. Disadvantage is that it does not null output DC, as it coud be expected from CFB opamp.

Attachments

• GainWire-ODNF-3-power-FFT1k.jpg
    GainWire-ODNF-3-power-FFT1k.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 542
Why don't you look at the HEC or Cordells error correction. I do believe that most of what you're trying to cure is the poor performance of your output buffer. Some kind of feed forward Error correction could make your concept fly... What kind of performance do you have with high signal on the voltage gain stage alone.??

Why don't you look at the HEC or Cordells error correction. I do believe that most of what you're trying to cure is the poor performance of your output buffer. Some kind of feed forward Error correction could make your concept fly... What kind of performance do you have with high signal on the voltage gain stage alone.??

I used HEC, look here http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/238252-odnf-no-gnfb-power-amp-8.html#post3568663. Voltage gain has quite low distortion, main distortion is comming from output stage.

Ohh sorry I did not see that... What about Cordells feed forward error-correction, would that yield better results... Somehow it would be nice to get the opamp out, as in all the opamp-argumented feed back soldering I have done it's impossible to thame.

What is different between HEC and Cordells feed forward error-correction. Could you direct me where to look in his book?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.