ODNF or no GNFB power amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dadod you should try sim the noise levels with the P1 used as a volume control, the results may not be that bad. Keep in mind that ODNF reduces not only distortion but also has a positive effect on noise.

How far are you into the development, this is a design Id like to build. I already have such a amp but with a simpler front end. I dont usually chase ultralow THD figures over simplicity but Id try this one out.

BTW I found my paperwork about the current mirror while I was doing my amps design a couple years back, I just have to put it into electronic form then Ill post it.

Dadod you should try sim the noise levels with the P1 used as a volume control, the results may not be that bad. Keep in mind that ODNF reduces not only distortion but also has a positive effect on noise.

How far are you into the development, this is a design Id like to build. I already have such a amp but with a simpler front end. I dont usually chase ultralow THD figures over simplicity but Id try this one out.

BTW I found my paperwork about the current mirror while I was doing my amps design a couple years back, I just have to put it into electronic form then Ill post it.

Manso, first I can't use P1 as a volume conntrol as ODNF as it's connected works with fixed gain. When P1 value is gonig down opamp acts more as a gain stage and whole amp as global negative feedback amp.

"Keep in mind that ODNF reduces not only distortion but also has a positive effect on noise."
It is written in the papers you mailed to me but I have problem with simulation.
Below first picture shows noise with no ODNF active and second one is with ODNF active.
There is big difference in the noise level for worst with ODNF. It could be that LT opamp models are not good enough for this kind of simulatio. I am straggling to import Texsas Instruments opamp(LME49710 or LM4562) but no success yet.

Attachments

• GainWire-ODNF-off-power-noise.jpg
    GainWire-ODNF-off-power-noise.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 709
  • GainWire-ODNF-power-noise.jpg
    GainWire-ODNF-power-noise.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 603
Here is my attempt to simulate a kind of ODNF but only acting on the output stage(gain bit lower then 1).
It is working with lower decrease in THD, but good enough. What I loose now is opmap acting as DC servo(becouse the gain stage could have some DC offset). Now I can use P1 as a volume control, but still opamp noise dominate, so what now?
Nex try with HEC OPS.

Attachments

• GainWire-ODNF-2-power-FFT1k.jpg
    GainWire-ODNF-2-power-FFT1k.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 596
  • GainWire-ODNF-2-power-FFT20k.jpg
    GainWire-ODNF-2-power-FFT20k.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 579
Hi Dadod
let me show the latest marks regarding odnf amp by Shinich Kamijo.
this amp uses a transistor instead of opamp in nfb.
the Vout signal is close from clipping.
the first fft is with U3's wiper is set at 0.8, the second fft 0.01
As you can see main distortion are almost unchanged but look at hf hiss, it almost disapear!!!

Attachments

• odnfb vlt source.asc
    4.2 KB · Views: 106
  • fftU3 0.01.png
    fftU3 0.01.png
    12 KB · Views: 257
  • fft U3 0.8.png
    fft U3 0.8.png
    10.2 KB · Views: 227
  • sine.png
    sine.png
    9.4 KB · Views: 428
  • sch.png
    sch.png
    19.9 KB · Views: 488

Attachments

• odnfb vlt source separ power suppl (1).asc
    4.5 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
Nobody commented my implementation of the HEC output stage, it's a bit different from Hawksford.
Distortion decrease at 1kHz is 42dB and at 20kHz is 25dB.
I simulated noise at full and at -40dB volume.
Next simulation is the gain.
As this amp is whitout GNFB output is not close enough to zero V, next step to add DC servo.

Attachments

• GainWire-HEC-power-sch.jpg
    GainWire-HEC-power-sch.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 709
  • GainWire-HEC-power-noise-maxvolume.jpg
    GainWire-HEC-power-noise-maxvolume.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 665
  • GainWire-HEC-power-noise-volume-40dB.jpg
    GainWire-HEC-power-noise-volume-40dB.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 619
  • GainWire-HEC-power-gain.jpg
    GainWire-HEC-power-gain.jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 585
Nobody commented my implementation of the HEC output stage, it's a bit different from Hawksford.
Distortion decrease at 1kHz is 42dB and at 20kHz is 25dB.
I simulated noise at full and at -40dB volume.
Next simulation is the gain.
As this amp is whitout GNFB output is not close enough to zero V, next step to add DC servo.

Dear Dadod
you know I like your designs very much and I am very impressed of their performance but I cannot compliment every post:D

Dadod, that`s all nice in the simulation world but there`s a work ahead of you to therm. stabilize output stage and bias...

Bogdan, yes there is more work to do. Q31 and Q32 should be thermaly connected with output transistors and P2 used for the bias adjustment. D1 and D2 should compensate for ambient change of temperature. Those days I am occupied with my grandsons and less time left for audio hobby.

Here is HEC OPS with DC servo. This amp is now DC from the input to the output.
P1 is a volume control and P2 bias adjustment. Max gain is 45 or 33dB and in this case there is no need for preamplifier at all, just input switch.

Attachments

• GainWire-HEC-power-DCservo-sch.jpg
    GainWire-HEC-power-DCservo-sch.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 428
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.