Creating pro looking front panels.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
but a front panel is harder to adapt.

You have to make one.

You can use nice stainless steel allen head bolts to attach it, or a two part adhesive like autobody patch panel adhesive. You could probably find a suitable adhesive at a hardware store too. I have seen two part adhesives made to bond metal at my local Do It Best store. I used one a long time ago for an application I don't remember; but I do remember that it worked.

You could also bend the edges and screw it on. But I think that a flat front panel looks best. A brushed piece of aluminum glued to a cheap plastic front panel looks real nice. And if you use an old component chassis (like from a CD player) you can put it in a stack of consumer equipment and it blends right in, but stands out too if you use a brushed aluminum front panel. Satin black ( the usual consumer equipment look) complements brushed aluminum really well.

You can spray paint it too. And don't forget that you can get batches of parts anodized for pretty cheap if you live in an area that has an anodizing service. I have several within a 12 mile radius of my house.

Last edited:
Hi luigidedom,
Screen printing would be very nice.
Can you give some links to "how to" and material sources for small volumes?

I recently encountered a small company that's worth investigating.
Promosign in Belgium. They can handle anything we as builders need.
Even if you are a bit bigger then a DIY'ver.
Email: sign@promosign.be

I've been there and they are very happy to do small quantities of anything.
The 3D stickers with a logo are wonderfull.
Machinework and bending chassis is done by another company they work with.

For a budget approach, I've thought about using rub-down transfer lettering then clear-coating, but I have not actually tried it very seriously.

I actually tried this quickly on a bead-blasted front panel as a test, but the rub-downs didn't stick at all.

......or perhaps try to use an iron to transfer laser printer ink (like making PCBs DIY)...but I haven't tried that either.

Rather than the "rub down" type, you can buy sheets that go in a printer that make water transfer decals. You cut the lable out, then use water to "float" the very thin decal off the backing paper. You can make them any size you like. Then when you are done spray the panel with clear paint. The decals can have any kind of artwork or color you can do on your computer. They don't cost much. One sheet will do many projects.

For a budget approach, I've thought about using rub-down transfer lettering then clear-coating, but I have not actually tried it very seriously.

I actually tried this quickly on a bead-blasted front panel as a test, but the rub-downs didn't stick at all.

......or perhaps try to use an iron to transfer laser printer ink (like making PCBs DIY)...but I haven't tried that either.

Put a application of clear coat on the panel first. Then the transfer letters have something to stick to. Finish with another application of clear coat.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.