I need CD 4017 help - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th June 2013, 03:58 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default I need CD 4017 help

I need help on a CD4017 circuit there is something that don't know how to do

Application is like that

CD 4017 triggered from a 555

1)4017 is on standby mode where port O is on and waiting
2)there is got to be some start button to start the sequence
3)4017 then will activate in sequence ports 1-7 with 2 seconds interval
and after finish the circle will have to go back to step 1 where port 0 is on and waiting .

What i don't know how to do is ""park" the 4017 to step 1 after the sequence

Kind regards
sakis
Old 20th June 2013, 04:23 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

There was some help from a friend explaining to me the use of pin 13 which is the clock inhibit which actually means that i can use the last port of the 4017 to stop the clock

then 4017 will park at last port on ( 9) then activating the clock again or disconnect pin 13 will start again the clock and 4017 will start the sequence all over again starting from port 0

Will try that and get back in between any other ideas are very welcome
Old 20th June 2013, 04:33 PM   #3
wg_ski is online now wg_ski  United States
diyAudio Member

The reset pin will set it back at zero. Connect it to the output that's one past where you want it to stop and re-cycle for sequences shorter than 10. Use that same signal to trigger a latch (flip flop will work) to the clock enable. That will stop the clock until manually reset.

My DJ light controllers are built around 4017's and 3914's - even the new one I just built this year. I love fooling with this old stuff.
Old 20th June 2013, 04:43 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

reset pin is set to ground ... this with the flip flop i don't understand how to do

problems :
1) The voltage coming out of a 4017 output is not enough to energize the inhibit pin 13 it needs probably to be driven from a transistor from rail voltage can be done

2) to start the sequence again you need to connect pin 13 to ground ...so a switch or a push button or a relay for a thing like that cannot be done since in the time pin 13 is in the air will go to any port randomly i think ...
Old 20th June 2013, 04:56 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

ok a BC 547 triggered from any port will stop the clock ordered by the specific port

Question is how do you start it again ? if you remove power from the transistor or disconnect anything 4017 picks up noise from the pin and jump to any or all ports on
Old 20th June 2013, 05:38 PM   #6
wg_ski is online now wg_ski  United States
diyAudio Member

Connect all un-used inputs to GND thru a 10k resistor. Hit reset with +5 or whatever to send it back to 0. You can do that with the resistor connected.
Old 20th June 2013, 06:57 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Οκ .... understood that pin 13 function will not help ...

In pin 15 i added an RC for a pull down function to ensure that start will always happen from port 0 at power up

In my case and externally from the 4017 relays will be driven and hold after ordered from any of the 6 ports of the 4017 now after relays are in hold mode it will not mater if the 4017 is still running

Then this is the stop mode and one and only push button that will interrupt the power will start the sequence all over again

I am done
Thanks ppl that was help!!

Hide this!Advertise here!