Aftermarket balance control for my integrated

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is it possible to incorporate an aftermarket balance control to my Sugden A21Se integrated. My system images to the left because, I believe, of my room or maybe even my hearing and it seems the easiest and quickest way to solve the problem.
I only use vinyl - could I place it between phono stage and line input to the Sugden somehow ?
Or should I change my amp for one with a balance control ?

Hi.

Is it possible to incorporate an aftermarket balance control to my Sugden A21Se integrated

Yes :)

My system images to the left

Has it been this way from day 1 ? If not it sounds like it's faulty.

I only use vinyl - could I place it between phono stage and line input to the Sugden somehow ?

Yes :)

Is this your's ? Sugden Audio: A21SE

Or should I change my amp for one with a balance control ?

No need, if you can solder, or know someone that can ;) See my screenie for how to do it. Very simple & low cost, & can be built into a nice little box.

Attachments

• sug.png
    sug.png
    2.1 KB · Views: 83
Really ? No nasty caps nor resistors ?

The Amp will have capacitors at the inputs, & i expect the PreAmp will have on the outputs. There is no need for them anyway with a balance pot ;)

Unless you are going to swing the pot right over to either side, you shouldn't need any resistors either. Anyway PreAmps usually have @ least 100 Ohms ones in there outputs. You could include a 100 Ohm resistor in series with each PreAmp output to the pot, if you wanted to.

I must speak to my friendly solderer. Any recommendations for the pot ?

Actually a pot with any value between 10k Linear & 100k Linear would work just fine, & with those resistors too. Here's a few examples of Conductive Plastic Linear 100k pots.

91A1A-B28-B20L Bourns | Mouser

P160KNP-0Q20B100K BI Technologies / TT electronics | Mouser

I don't know who your suppliers are, but the above is just to show you what's available.

Don't forget to order one with the shaft size to suit a nice knob, they do differ. Plus, if the shaft is metal it's harder to cut to size than a plastic one.

Let me know how it pans out.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I think in practice you'll find it needs more than just a pot. The reason is that the low output impedance of the preamp (or source component if its a passive preamp) will mean the pot has no effect until at the extreme of its travel when it actually starts "shorting out" the feed. That means you really do need series resistors of say 1500 ohms and a 10K pot. It would work well in practice, the only theoretical issue is that any slight resistance at the wiper/track interface would cause inter channel crosstalk... but its spliting hairs and with a good pot is really a non issue.

There is a better way however, and that is using a dual gang pot where one gang is wired "backwards" so that as one attenuates the other passes more signal.

Nice amp by the way. I know someone with two Sugden amps, an earlier A21 and the latest A21SE. I've been around the factory too :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.