Speakers for HK330A - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th June 2013, 02:39 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Speakers for HK330A

Just finished fully recapping an HK 330A to give my oldest son. Sounds great, but modestly powered and I'd like him to be able to generate some volume with it so his ears will ring like mine when he's my age.

Maybe this should be in the speaker forum but that looks much like about building speakers more than matching them to an older solid state amp...

Wondering what speakers might pair well with this amp. It's been my shop receiver, and right now it's sounding good through some Klipsch Forte's, but he's not getting those just yet. What other speakers have similar sensitivity to various Klipsch's, or are known to work well with an HK330?
Old 12th June 2013, 02:47 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Location: Mar del Plata, a BIG seasonal getaway city, can see the Ocean from our residence.
A lot of teenagers were raised on Cerwin Vegas.........Although the current VE model line is rather efficient at 94-97 Db@1W1M.......over the past dozen years or so....the older models were even more Ear-bleedingly loud @104+ Db.
The last of the super efficient models, the "E' series have been out of production just a few years ago.....The E-715, Three-way, BiG enclosure, 15" woofer was rated at 102 Db.......way loud with even low powered amps. Genuinely house shaking with full rated power. Not the most detailed nor accurate sound by far but a great starting point.

__________________________________________________ ____Rick...........
Old 12th June 2013, 04:30 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Ellis View Post
A lot of teenagers were raised on Cerwin Vegas.........Although the current VE model line is rather efficient at 94-97 Db@1W1M.......over the past dozen years or so....the older models were even more Ear-bleedingly loud @104+ Db.
The last of the super efficient models, the "E' series have been out of production just a few years ago.....The E-715, Three-way, BiG enclosure, 15" woofer was rated at 102 Db.......way loud with even low powered amps. Genuinely house shaking with full rated power. Not the most detailed nor accurate sound by far but a great starting point.
__________________________________________________ ____Rick...........
Nice idea, will keep an eye out. I guess that's the balance question right there, to be honest I'd go in favor of sound quality over sheer volume, but I don't want to get something that will stress the 330A unduly. There are probably some pretty decent speakers amongst all the stuff that CV made...
Old 12th June 2013, 08:11 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Location: Mar del Plata, a BIG seasonal getaway city, can see the Ocean from our residence.
The only vintage brand that I'm aware of that had "problems" of way too low impedence was the Infinities......the ones with the EMIT tweeters. It seemed when Infinity was stacking those electrostatic mids & tweeters (dozens) "they" didn't pay much attention to how low the impedences were getting.
It just seems, most all loudspeakers these days "require" massive amounts of power to operate 'correctly'. That's all well & fine when large amounts of Wattage come cheaply....as in todays' gear........but Forty years ago power was very expensive. I would bet todays models of Cerwin Vegas are technically, audibly more accurate than the older models......maybe that's why the outright efficiency has gone down.......trading loudness for accuracy.

__________________________________________________ __Rick..........
Old 12th June 2013, 11:06 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

That series of HK's receivers is especially prized by the guys using Klipsch Heritage speakers (Heresy, cornwall, La Scala, Klipschorn).
Old 13th June 2013, 08:02 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithTarragon View Post
That series of HK's receivers is especially prized by the guys using Klipsch Heritage speakers (Heresy, cornwall, La Scala, Klipschorn).
No doubt. It sounds great with my Fortes in my shop, except I think they're 4 Ohm so I'm not too sure about cranking it with them. Maybe I'll bring it into the living room and use it for a while with my Heresies. The receiver's plenty bassy so might balance out well with them...

Not real anxious to give him those, though But might eventually sell the Heresies, pick up a nicer pair of Forte IIs and give him the old Fortes...

I'm also looking for other speakers to keep an eye out for in case I come across something.
Old 14th June 2013, 12:25 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmalmberg View Post
No doubt. It sounds great with my Fortes in my shop, except I think they're 4 Ohm so I'm not too sure about cranking it with them. Maybe I'll bring it into the living room and use it for a while with my Heresies. The receiver's plenty bassy so might balance out well with them...

Not real anxious to give him those, though But might eventually sell the Heresies, pick up a nicer pair of Forte IIs and give him the old Fortes...

I'm also looking for other speakers to keep an eye out for in case I come across something.
It would be worth a try. Probably do not need to worry about the 4 Ohm spec. Since the Klipsch speakers are so efficient, not much current would actually be required.

Klipsch Hereseys are funny creatures. They are shy in the bass (and really benefit from a subwoofer). However so many folks magnify the bass deficiency by placing them on stands or not locating them near a wall or a corner.
Old 14th June 2013, 05:48 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Yeah my living room doesn't allow great placement for the Heresies. A few months ago I hid a B&W subwoofer in the room - my wife doesn't know it's there I keep it down at a level where it just barely beefs up the very bottom.
Old 16th June 2013, 02:23 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Verified, the 330A is nice with the Heresies, with or without a sub. The contour function or cranking the bass a bit seems to help when without sub. Whereas, with the Fortes I sometimes turned the bass down. Huge difference between the two but both good.

So are Klipsch and CV pretty much the only high sensitivity speakers out there?
Old 7th July 2013, 05:53 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Guess so

Hide this!Advertise here!