Hifi amp as signal tracer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all.
I would like to know if it is advisable to use my hifi bench test amplifier as a signal tracer, or should i rather get a dedicated amplifier/ speaker for this. What type of circuitry will I need front- end to add this to my hifi amp? I want to be able to probe valve amps etc.
Any advice please.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
For many years, I just used a cheap AM pocket radio which gives an isolated instrument with low hum problems. Mind you, you need a HV coupling capacitor, suitable shielded lead and attenuation before connecting to low voltage radio circuits to safely probe tube amplifiers. A cheap, switchable X10 'scope probe is a good start toward this.

I would agree with Ian here.. it doesn't have to be very loud to hear music signals when tracing out circuits. for many years I used a small pair of pc powered speakers of 1W for field work etc, I then built a two channel test amplifier using a TDA2050 ic and parts from the junk box that worked a treat.

I don't think it matters much what you use, but the probe is certainly important. I'd want about 1 meg in series, followed by a coupling cap and then paralleled reversed diodes to ground, or maybe back to back zeners if you want more signal. The resistor needs to be large enough to limit the current to the diodes for the highest voltage you might accidentally encounter, say the B+ in a tube amp. I'd also put some high value resistors from the cap to ground to discharge it and prevent pops. That's a minimum- no doubt there are other niceties that could be added.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.