Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th June 2013, 07:58 AM   #1
kinku is offline kinku  United States
diyAudio Member

Default 60-100W Mono Class AB diy AMPS

I am planning on starting a project for multi channel hi fidelity system and need 6 Amplifier blocks power rated somewhere between 60-100W working in CLASS AB.Two of them i like it in CLASS A.
I know there are many options and when it comes to quality it is difficult to reach conclusions.
I have four Signal transformers A41-130 with me left over from an old project, so planning to use them as power supply for 4 channels(14/28,130VA).
Pre assembled KITS with good quality components are being considered.
Awaiting suggestions.
Old 8th June 2013, 12:45 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

how are you going to get 60-100W out of 28V CT transformer? +/-19VDC. wish will drop to 17-18VDC under hard load. you are lucky to get 13W at 8ohm.
Old 8th June 2013, 12:54 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I was thinking if used 0/28 V configuration it may work,rather than 14-0-14. Again it is just a possibility in case a monoblock board is available.I am not planning to make my plans centered around a transformer.
Old 8th June 2013, 12:57 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

okei. i would get some good transformers. 2*30V transformers.
you say multi channal. is it active stereo, or surround?
Old 8th June 2013, 01:11 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I am planning to use in active 3 way system,of which I like to use a Class A AMP for midrange.Which should be ok with a power rating of 50-60W or even lower.
Class AB for others. Trying to limit my total power to 200W RMS per Stereo channel( divided between 3 speakers)Can not think of a reason,why I should waste power.
I thought about getting Brystons for 6 channels but then realized it would be an overkill in terms of power usage.But I am expecting something that matches the quality of Bryston in lower rated power.
Old 8th June 2013, 01:19 PM   #6
djoffe is offline djoffe  United States
diyAudio Member

for the class AB stuff, check out

Akitika GT-101 Audio Power Amplifier Kit

the amp modules and heatsinks, and other bits are also available separately...

Akitika Store

just scroll down the page a bit...
Old 8th June 2013, 01:29 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thumbs up Bryston amps

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinku View Post
I am planning to use in active 3 way system,of which I like to use a Class A AMP for midrange.Which should be ok with a power rating of 50-60W or even lower.
Class AB for others. Trying to limit my total power to 200W RMS per Stereo channel( divided between 3 speakers)Can not think of a reason,why I should waste power.
I thought about getting Brystons for 6 channels but then realized it would be an overkill in terms of power usage.But I am expecting something that matches the quality of Bryston in lower rated power.
Bryston amps are very, very good! They are build like tanks and will last forever. no wonder their warranty is 20 years. Right now there are some very good (mint) condition Bryston 4B amps in eBay for around $1500 USD. I had a Bryston B60 that I loved very much. You can not go wrong with Bryston amps
Old 8th June 2013, 01:37 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I know they are good,but I need about 6 Channels and two of them need to be Class A IF POSSIBLE.and also I do not need that much power per channel.
Old 8th June 2013, 01:48 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Well. Do you want to build them or buy them?
Old 8th June 2013, 01:53 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I am considering building them from a KIT ,if the KIT components are of good quality, I can get the assembled too. So looking for some suggestions and experiences. Enclosures are going to be an issue for such configurations I guess( 6 chanels) .I would consider lucky if I can finish 3 units in one enclosure.

Hide this!Advertise here!