FET-hex explendit amplifier

Now the new version is comming --> iAMP100. The stereo OPS unit for single pair transitors, just transformer is required.

The board will ''take'' on board BJT and the Mosfet transitors, board has:
-main PSU
-preamp PSU +/-15V with short circuit protection
-speaker DC protect
-over temperature protect
-speakers 10s delay ON
-speakers fast OFF -->after trafo is switched OFF
-you can use single relay or two separete relays
-BJT or FET-hex output transistors

IPS boards are 60mm x 70mm which is enough to fit in most of the simple amplifiers (including sony ta777es if you will have a parts :D ).

The special tool will help to bend the transitor legs :D (spacers distance is 30mm)

Excellent configuration with snap-on IPS boards! Very PRO :cool:

Big THANKS lads.

I must say that I am very suprised with irfp240/9140 pair, they sound lovley. On the paper (measurements) they are a bit behind BJT's but at the listening tests they rocks.

Bias spreader with red LED keeps the bias very solid all the time. I have some 2SK2013/2SJ313 (for drivers) and 2SK1530/2SJ201 so I will try to make it more SONY look like OPS.

Regards Peter

Attachments

• jetfire mosfet.jpg
    jetfire mosfet.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 1,138
Hi Borys,
Have you used the uPC1237 chip for protection ?
You forgot to post the power amp circuit you used here. Is it posted somewhere ?

I have a board from eBay for the TDA7294 which has the uPC1237 for protection. Apparently one pin ( pin1) isn't used. Many users seem to skip this pin. Isn't hard to implement.

ashok
Tche output stage schematic is bellow, very simple and basic as 90% of the amplifiers. Bellow resistor values for mosfets IRFP240/9140.
I have around 10 differend IPS boards (bellow a bit modyfied apexaudio A9 IPS).

The protection is splitted in two circuits, first one is for temperature protection and is based on shmidtt trigger (comparator with histeresis), protection is cutting the speakrs off at 80deg and switching them back on at 65deg (depend on the resistor value).
The second part is DC detector + delay ON, just a few trannies. I have never used uPC1237, I can learn more when using fully discrete version.
The next generation of the main board will have same as above plus full short circuit protection (same as in i-PSU) , so hopefully it will be bullet proof.

Regards

Attachments

• iamp100mosfet.png
    iamp100mosfet.png
    158.1 KB · Views: 1,122
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 1,091
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 989
Thanks Borys.
The uPC1237 is easy to implement but not so easily available locally. There are some others similar to it. However I also use discrete circuitry to control the output relay. For the thermal cutout I used a thermal relay which doesn't have much hysteresis like yours. But I do have some chassis mountable thermistors which could be used that way with some circuitry.

Which type of input stage sounds best in your opinion ? When I used your original circuit it did sound very good. I had found that LATFets sounded slightly better at HF but a shade lighter in the bass as compared to bipolar devices. Will try out the Hexfets as soon as it's possible.

I know that upc1237 is hard to get so I didnt bother with it.
The IPS board I like most is the tube one VSHA and CFP-Madness. Both simple and working good boards.

I have the same experience with latFETS, bass-wise they need to be paralleled to get good resaults.
Basicly I like simple not over complicated circuits - for some reason they sound the best for me.

Regards Peter

Hello everyone

Borys there a few times I had the intention of making this kind of amplifier (OPS - IPS) from your schema FET_HEX - BG1.
Here OPS card, what do you think?

Thank you.

Attachments

• Scr2.JPG
    Scr2.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 1,293
  • Scr1.JPG
    Scr1.JPG
    119.7 KB · Views: 1,372
  • Scr3.jpg
    Scr3.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 1,398
excellent ops card. im glad i found it, thanks.

i've been wanting to make a class ab version of krell ksa50.

what do you think about mating the BG1's output stage to diamond differential input of KSA50?

(or is it balanced ltp?. i don't know what the technical term for that is. seems to be called many things. same input is also found on leach amp)

hexfet

Hi, I had some extra time and I have made 1 channel of this little hexfet amp (v. 1.6 board). Very nice sound, second board is ready and I will populate it sometimes soon.

Attachments

• IMG_20210429_113141.jpg
    IMG_20210429_113141.jpg
    512.1 KB · Views: 298
  • IMG_20210429_113153.jpg
    IMG_20210429_113153.jpg
    840.2 KB · Views: 277
  • IMG_20210429_113157.jpg
    IMG_20210429_113157.jpg
    463.1 KB · Views: 157
Marc
If you have some JFet at home you can test it by replacing the BC550C/560C
For BC550C use 2SK170BL and BC560C use 2SJ74BL Just rotate them 180 degree to solder them to the PC board.
For example if the two BJT was face to face the JFet has to be back to back
I used between 7-8mA but I don't think that is so important as long as U chose BL grade.
Greetings G
Can I use 2sk246 instead of BC550 and 2sj103 instead of bc560?