FET-hex explendit amplifier

Borys
When I use Iron transfer that is not so precise than photo resist method.
For that between some traces, transistor leads need a bit more room.
Otherwise does not come out well or nice.
Nothing wrong with your layout, actually very good if you use photo transfer or other better solution.
For iron transfer need some minimal adjustment, I know (out of experience) I made over 100PC boards in that way.;)
I need to take your layout into the paint program and do those adjustment necessary for Iron transfer.
From PDF I can't take it to pair program to do the mode I need, Otherwise I have to redraw all the layout by hand how I used to make my PC boards layout.:eek:
That is way too big job, takes several days to draw by hand in the paint program.

I didn't tested the darlington yet, I have to purchase that darlington and some other parts for my test board..
I want to test several semiconductors (power darlingtons and drivers to).
Greetings Gabor

Borys
When I use Iron transfer that is not so precise than photo resist method.
For that between some traces, transistor leads need a bit more room.
Otherwise does not come out well or nice.
Nothing wrong with your layout, actually very good if you use photo transfer or other better solution.
For iron transfer need some minimal adjustment, I know (out of experience) I made over 100PC boards in that way.;)
I need to take your layout into the paint program and do those adjustment necessary for Iron transfer.
From PDF I can't take it to pair program to do the mode I need, Otherwise I have to redraw all the layout by hand how I used to make my PC boards layout.:eek:
That is way too big job, takes several days to draw by hand in the paint program.

I didn't tested the darlington yet, I have to purchase that darlington and some other parts for my test board..
I want to test several semiconductors (power darlingtons and drivers to).
Greetings Gabor

I am doing exacly the same - thermo transfer with hot iron. Even small thinks are going ok.

Attachments

• plytki.gif
    plytki.gif
    227.1 KB · Views: 958
Hey Gabor, maybe this can help
Open the pdf-file with Acrobat reader and scale to 100%.
Now either use the SnippingTool.exe in Win7/8 or use printscreen botton on your keyboard.
With SnippingTool.exe use help menu or your PC experience to grap the pixels and save them to PNG JPG or BMP. Then rightclick that file and select "Open with" select PAINT, and now you are home for editing.
With printscreen keyboard bottom method, after you have hit the botton it capture the hole screen Picture, so open PAINT in Windows and paste into the program, and now edit as you like.
Hope its understandable, BR Ricky

Mosfets (same type N or P) should be matched to around 10mV of Ugs (current approx 200mA), or they should be from exacly same production part - would be easier to match them up.

+ side and - side of rail do not have to be matched.

Regards

Thanks that was i though, it compromise the use of fet like SK1530/SJ201 due thei price.

Marc

Thanks that was i though, it compromise the use of fet like SK1530/SJ201 due thei price.

Marc

Toshiba mosfet is superior compare to the IRFP type.
Those were made for audio, I got a well matched set for F5 amplifier but I no longer plan to build that project.
I do not say IRFP is bad please do not misunderstand, I still have almost 100PC of them and many of them already were used for my N Pass amp projects.
Those who does not know I built my first amplifier with these topology about 23 years ago.
Al do I used Darlington power transistors (now no longer available from Philips or Texas Inst.) and with the replacement I have some bias drifting issue now.:scratch1:
Sound wise still the best amplifier I ever used in my system.:)
Hardly can wait to build one of borys amplifier :D Al do I do give up on my amp to make it stable..
Now I mode a bit borys layout for the 3 pair HEXfet type, I planing to use +/-54V rail voltage 100mA bias/mosfet pair.
Greetings Gabor

Toshiba mosfet is superior compare to the IRFP type.
Those were made for audio, I got a well matched set for F5 amplifier but I no longer plan to build that project.
I do not say IRFP is bad please do not misunderstand, I still have almost 100PC of them and many of them already were used for my N Pass amp projects.
Those who does not know I built my first amplifier with these topology about 23 years ago.
Al do I used Darlington power transistors (now no longer available from Philips or Texas Inst.) and with the replacement I have some bias drifting issue now.:scratch1:
Sound wise still the best amplifier I ever used in my system.:)
Hardly can wait to build one of borys amplifier :D Al do I do give up on my amp to make it stable..
Now I mode a bit borys layout for the 3 pair HEXfet type, I planing to use +/-54V rail voltage 100mA bias/mosfet pair.
Greetings Gabor

I gabor i have the same goal but +/-50vdc with 3 pair 240/9240 as i have good matched spare. I am on Eagle session for layout.

Marc

Marc

I gabor i have the same goal but +/-50vdc with 3 pair 240/9240 as i have good matched spare. I am on Eagle session for layout.

Marc

First try out....Board size is 144x85mm

Marc

Edit : KSC3503/KSA1381 must be swap to 2SD669/2SB649

Attachments

• BG2-Hexfet_V1_Sch.png
    BG2-Hexfet_V1_Sch.png
    75.4 KB · Views: 956
  • BG2-Hexfet_V1_Brd1.png
    BG2-Hexfet_V1_Brd1.png
    127.8 KB · Views: 964
  • BG2-Hexfet_V1_Brd2.png
    BG2-Hexfet_V1_Brd2.png
    93.1 KB · Views: 920
Last edited:
So i'am in love for the second time in one week....
Clearly it's the same family as VSSA LC...a little less bright as mosfet one but what a strongness in the lower frequency.

Listened to VSSA and the version with drivers + bipolar outputs yesterday and I have to say that I missed that thorough insight with all the details as I am used to by VSSA. That it's not what I aimed for by VSSA project and I am afraid it becomes just to similar to common DIY amps SQ. Please do not drop into just adding outputs to have more power, since these introduces most of the distortions, and by doing it so to lost SQ. I don't want to discourage anyone to experiment, of course not, but each step of any, even smallest, change should be criticaly evaluated by SQ listening, otherwise it's just as we would play with LEGO. :yes:

Listened to VSSA and the version with drivers + bipolar outputs yesterday and I have to say that I missed that thorough insight with all the details as I am used to by VSSA. That it's not what I aimed for by VSSA project and I am afraid it becomes just to similar to common DIY amps SQ. Please do not drop into just adding outputs to have more power, since these introduces most of the distortions, and by doing it so to lost SQ. I don't want to discourage anyone to experiment, of course not, but each step of any, even smallest, change should be criticaly evaluated by SQ listening, otherwise it's just as we would play with LEGO. :yes:

Hi LC,

I don't feel to loose some details and magie from VSSA to BG1 (I was quite attentive to these details as i passed the all week with VSSA to hear new things. When i swap to BG1 i had all these point on mind), may be a little less bright, at other side i gain details at lower frequency not the lowest but in clear drum, bass guitar. It appears nuances that i had identify with VSSA...but that is in my case with my system. What i want to try with VSSA is to change PSU : i have a big old EI core trafo (to around 500Va) vith 2x29V sec so i could have +/-41Vdc PSU but only stereo config =>one PSU for 2 VSSA... to see what happen.

Addon : due each individuel desire, configuration, requirement...this hobby is the perfect exemple that choicies are results of what compromises we are ready to made. The VSSA "family" quality leve is so high compared to other stuff i heard that all appear the best for me...
Marc

Last edited:
Hi Andrej and Marc
Ref: post 238 by Andrej, says: "Please do not drop into just adding outputs to have more power, since these introduces most of the distortions, and by doing it so to lost SQ".
This paralell with more devices and downside can be done Serial with more devices=balanced version and then no paralell downsides.
I have done some simulation VSSA v1.4 (Not the Commercial version), BG1-BJT (By Idefixes), and PeeCeeBee (By Shaan). Here i see groupdelay slowness in Lows because of 2200Uf ac funktion, and worse by NG1-BJT and PeeCeeBee because of smaller value here. This groupdelay can be corrected by huge value for this cap eg storage capasitor or something else? is it a concern ? Is it audible?
If you are interested i can publish images of simulation and data.
Later when i recieve VSSA modules and get them up running, i will also report back and make Pictures. And Idefixes got me diysick so intend to build his NG1-BJT later, intend to use 2SA1494/2SC3858 instead, they have more tight sound and are without the multi emitter (aery sound i think come from this) and have less bandwith.
BR Ricky