Beomaster 5000 help!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Afternoon chaps!

I've been given a Beomaster 5000, which powered up fine, all lights came on etc ok.

However, no sound came out of it! When you plug in a speaker there was a crackle from the speaker, then nothing.
After trying a few things and having it powered on for a bit, I noticed a small wisp of smoke coming out of it near the input tray.

So, I thought what the hell and opened it up.. after a bit more plugging in and dismantling I narrowed the smoke down to R38 and r39 burning away merrily. I've had a quick trawl and can only find that this is common ish, but the problem is possibly deeper than the resistors. They are on the pre-amp side as i under stand it!

Looking for any help you may be able to give! Layout diagrams, experience of this unit etc! Not sure what to do.. I have limited soldering expertise/ experience but am keen to learn and see this as an opportunity to do so. Am I mad or shall I just stick it on Ebay? Is it worth fixing?

EDIT. At least I've found a copy of the manual with the resistor values. Tempted to replace them with wire to see if that works.. is this a bad idea?!

http://beophile.com/wp-content/plugi...oad.php?id=145

Cheers!

James.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I have no experience with the Beomaster 5000, but many moons ago I repaired a few Beomaster 3000, 4000, and Beocenter 3000 for myself and family members. They all had schematics in a brown envelope glued to the bottom panel, which made debugging a lot easier. I never had one I wasn't able to repair. I was in 7th or 8th grade at the time... :)

~Tom

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.