Multiple voltages from a single toroid?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Aside from the cost of a custom transformer, are there any (dis)advantages to doing this? I am building a quad-amped system, and will use a lower (CT) supply voltage on the tweeter & upper-mid amps. I'd like to drive those and the lower-mid amp from a single transformer, to save space. Am I just asking for trouble?

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> tweeter & upper-mid amps. I'd like to drive those and the lower-mid amp from a single transformer

Every time your bass goes BOOM, the supply voltage to your mid-highs will dip.

If you use a well-oversized core, this may not be a real problem. However then it may not be smaller than separate cores.

I don't think it will be "trouble". I think separate would be better, or at least lessen the interaction.

I also think that "saving space" is usually a poor plan. Hard to build, hard to fix, hard to upgrade, tends to run hot, have self-buzz, be unstable. I've built things too-tight and regretted it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.