Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd December 2003, 03:31 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default DACT CT101 Preamp modules

While browsing Audiocom's website, I noticed they have started selling DACT CT101 Preamp modules. These look very interesting, and are cheap as chips.

Does anyone have any experience of these?
http://www.dact.com/html/line_stages.html

I currently use a NAC32, but am considering replacing it with something a little more modern, rather than going down the road of tweaking the Naim circuit to death.

It seems to be pretty well thought of, are there any alternatives I should consider (the JL Hood amp seems very interesting, as do the Nelson Pass designs mentioned here).

Thanks,

Edward
Old 3rd December 2003, 03:58 PM   #2
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

Phono module CT100 624 USD Ouch!
Line amp CT101 182 USD + 296 USD for PS Ouch!
http://www.nutshellhifi.com/dact.html

Note that the line amp consists of two current feedback(?) opamps probably from AD. The pcb looks nice though and I'll guess that they are quite good also.
Old 3rd December 2003, 04:09 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Wow, the phono module is expensive!

I was going to knock together a simple regulated supply using LM317/337 chips, then replace them with some of Andy's Super Regs once I have more money. I have a transformer which would do the job nicely, so I will only need to stump the £87 for the CT101 module, some smoothing caps and a case. I also plan to use a two channel alps pot or similar now, and upgrade to a DACT attenuator in the future.

Hmm...

I am going to try this once I have finished with my CD player (3 super regs and an Audiocom Superclock on the cards), and have a bit of cash to play with.
Old 3rd December 2003, 04:48 PM   #4
Cobra2 is offline Cobra2  Norway
DIY !
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Cobra2
Thumbs down I had one...

And for not wasting the attenuator, I ripped the parts, and rewired/modified it into this: http://www.stereophile.com/amplifica...54/index5.html
(Using a BUF-04)
Much better....

Arne K
Old 4th December 2003, 05:52 PM   #5
Nisbeth is offline Nisbeth  Denmark
diyAudio Member

AFAIK the CT101 is just the attenuator. The preamp-module will cost you an arm and a leg extra If you're not building a passive preamp, you need some form of active circuitry in front, i.e. a Zen-amp or the preamp Arne links to (Aunt Corey's buffered passive).

If you get a board and would like to experiment, try running the board off two 12V SLA's....

/U.
Old 4th December 2003, 07:20 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

The CT101 is the preamp, the attenuators are the CT1 and CT2 (I think). As I said, I plan to build it with a Pot initially, and will upgrade to a stepped attenuator in time.

Using batteries is a good idea, I reckon all in the amp would cost less than £120 (~$200).
Old 4th December 2003, 08:59 PM   #7
Nisbeth is offline Nisbeth  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Sorry, I didn't have time to check the link before I posted.

You need 2 12V SLA's (I think any model from ~2 Ah and up should do), and a charger circuit of some sort and you're all set to go . You can build a simple charger with an LM317 or LM350 and current-limit it to about 1/10th of the rated capacity of the batteries. Not entirely optimum for the SLA's, but it works fine.

/U.
Old 27th November 2007, 09:13 PM   #8
iwok is offline iwok  Poland
diyAudio Member

I am interested if anyone build pre based on DACT CT-101 module. I am wondering how it could cooperate with Icepower amplifier.

Hide this!Advertise here!