DACT CT101 Preamp modules

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
While browsing Audiocom's website, I noticed they have started selling DACT CT101 Preamp modules. These look very interesting, and are cheap as chips.

Does anyone have any experience of these?
http://www.dact.com/html/line_stages.html

I currently use a NAC32, but am considering replacing it with something a little more modern, rather than going down the road of tweaking the Naim circuit to death.

It seems to be pretty well thought of, are there any alternatives I should consider (the JL Hood amp seems very interesting, as do the Nelson Pass designs mentioned here).

Thanks,

Edward

Wow, the phono module is expensive!

I was going to knock together a simple regulated supply using LM317/337 chips, then replace them with some of Andy's Super Regs once I have more money. I have a transformer which would do the job nicely, so I will only need to stump the £87 for the CT101 module, some smoothing caps and a case. I also plan to use a two channel alps pot or similar now, and upgrade to a DACT attenuator in the future.

Hmm...

I am going to try this once I have finished with my CD player (3 super regs and an Audiocom Superclock on the cards), and have a bit of cash to play with.

AFAIK the CT101 is just the attenuator. The preamp-module will cost you an arm and a leg extra;) If you're not building a passive preamp, you need some form of active circuitry in front, i.e. a Zen-amp or the preamp Arne links to (Aunt Corey's buffered passive).

If you get a board and would like to experiment, try running the board off two 12V SLA's.... :D

/U.

The CT101 is the preamp, the attenuators are the CT1 and CT2 (I think). As I said, I plan to build it with a Pot initially, and will upgrade to a stepped attenuator in time.

Using batteries is a good idea, I reckon all in the amp would cost less than £120 (~$200).

Sorry, I didn't have time to check the link before I posted.

You need 2 12V SLA's (I think any model from ~2 Ah and up should do), and a charger circuit of some sort and you're all set to go :). You can build a simple charger with an LM317 or LM350 and current-limit it to about 1/10th of the rated capacity of the batteries. Not entirely optimum for the SLA's, but it works fine.

/U.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.