diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Solid State (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/)
-   -   LtSpice = Scruffy ? (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/236121-ltspice-scruffy.html)

Zero D 17th May 2013 08:49 AM

LtSpice = Scruffy ?

I've noticed a LOT of posted designs have Lots symbols & text etc etc, overlaid on top of each other :( Is this a failing in LtS, or users not tidying up ?

mcd99uk 17th May 2013 08:54 AM

just laziness in my case. The schematics are for ever changing.

Jay 17th May 2013 08:57 AM

Its a powerful software but not so user friendly. But if the user knows the software more he will find out a way to do things efficiently/effectively/tidily

Ian Finch 17th May 2013 09:40 AM

It depends on whether the post is just a static image of the screen, or the whole circuit file which is interactive and can be manipulated just like your own files.
Mooly has detailed how to post LTSpice files several times.

godfrey 17th May 2013 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zero D (Post 3494413)
Is this a failing in LtS, or users not tidying up ?

Both. Have you tried using LTSpice? The user interface is an absolute nightmare.

Imagine a computer operating system that looks at first glance exactly like Windows. Except that to get it to actually do anything, you have to type DOS commands directly onto the desktop wallpaper. That's pretty much how LTSpice works. (You do have the 57 most useful DOS commands memorized, don't you?)

Seriously, even moving a component, rotating it, or changing it's properties aren't simple tasks. (Ah, of course - ctrl alt right click, why didn't I think of that! - after 2 hours plowing through the help file).

I honestly don't understand why anybody uses it, given that there's other free sim software available that works equally well, and has a sensible user interface.
[/rant]

mcd99uk 17th May 2013 10:35 AM

yeah you get used to the short cuts but it's not intuitive at all. Sub circuits took a long time to work out and if CTRL R rotates you'd expect CTRL M to mirror but it doesn't.

Bonsai 17th May 2013 10:54 AM

Godfrey, you've got to be kidding?

LTSpice hard to use/crappu UI. I just dont recognize these comments - sorry.

godfrey 17th May 2013 11:39 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonsai (Post 3494507)
Godfrey, you've got to be kidding?

LTSpice hard to use/crappu UI. I just dont recognize these comments - sorry.

You're being sarcastic, right? In case not, and for the benefit of anyone not familiar with it, let's do a quick comparison.

Imagine you want to do a Fourier analysis, and need to set the parameters. Here's what the user interface that you'd have to use looks like, for LTSpice and SIMetrix respectively.

Guess which one somebody new to spice could master in 5 minutes, and which would have him tearing his hair out for hours as he tries to make sense of the "help"?

Bonsai 17th May 2013 11:51 AM

??

Now I am really confused. The LTSpice UI is a GUI - you click and go . . . For FFT as well.

Bonsai 17th May 2013 11:52 AM

For a free piece of s/w it's very good. May we are crossing wires here, I don't know.