LtSpice = Scruffy ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
"intuitive" is meaningless - all software relies on conventions that are learned somewhere

for instance I can't stand the "intuitive" iTunes SW - which makes the fee replacement Nano they sent me near useless since I can't RockBox it, can't "intuit" how to transfer my existing music collection in files and folders - what's a playlist? where are the controls? where's the UI documentation?

the LTspice designer has explained his choice of a verb-noun modal UI paradigm - strongly claims it is a reasoned choice that fits the use case, reduces mouse cliks

I find for the limited number LTspice GUI actions it works well

I don't even use keyboard "short-cuts" because of the time lost moving back and forth from mouse to keyboard

another LTspice intro - ppt
Google

Well now, don't get me started on iTunes. Dare I say it? Absolute c**p. so much for the vaunted Apple UI. It's a joke.

"intuitive" is meaningless - all software relies on conventions that are learned somewhere
Nowadays the conventions are learned on, and even defined by, MS Windows and Macintosh systems (ignoring those upstart iPhone and tablet things), and any software that doesn't conform is "inherently" hard to learn.
the LTspice designer has explained his choice of a verb-noun modal UI paradigm - strongly claims it is a reasoned choice that fits the use case, reduces mouse cliks
I can ALMOST understand it, as Autocad is the same way (I first learned it on a graphics tablet, with the template with commands all around the drawing area where you click in a "pline" square to draw it, or type "pline " then go back to the tablet to place the starting point), but Autocad, despite its learning curve (it WAS first written before Windows - I forget if Switchercad has this excuse) has a MUCH better interface than LTSpice. IMHO, of course.

The use of the TAB key in windows has always perplexed me for moving to the next field on a form or other such move. My company used the point and shoot, then ENTER, as a data entry paradigm for business applications we developed. Many business have stuck to an old programming development called Clipper, which was based on that interface. It is dated but it worked and worked well.

If Linear Technology would have the user interface updated for LTSpice it would dominate more than it does now. The learning curve is steep but once you adapt your mind to it. WOW

What the incentive to LT to make that happen is what needs to be explored. I think it would make many engineers and other smile a lot. But why mess with success.

I use to write in AutoLisp for AutoCad but they went to Visual Basic from Microsoft, Lisp is so cool. Neat and direct, and you could interact on the command line with the program while running it.

The key to working efficiently in LTspice is keeping one hand on the keyboard and the other on the mouse, and learning the hotkeys of course. Things got much faster for me once I did that.

In addition, you are very well advised to have a Proper Keyboard - by which I mean one that doesn't mangle the function keys. Thou shalt have grouped F-keys like Big Blue intended. ;) A nice curvature à la Model M doesn't hurt either.

Yes, that implies a "desktop" type UI paradigm. Or a Thinkpad (a previous-generation one to be precise, as Lenovo now installs pretty much bog-standard keyboards with chiclet keys and ungrouped F-keys - blech). IOW, computing 10-15 years ago. (And we did get along at the time, didn't we?) Nothing inherently wrong with that - the PCB CAD software I used during my thesis relied heavily on F-keys (it originally ran in DOS and was later ported to Windows) and was said to be very efficient in daily use. Can't beat muscle memory, I guess.

With non-ideal interface hardware, any frustration would be quite understandable.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.