Amplifier with no speakers making sound

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok heres the deal. When i turn of the speakers in both my Luxman l30 and new Marantz pm5004, and when i turn it up real loud (full way) while music is still playing through it i can actually hear the music from inside the amplifier. why is this?
Thanks in advance for your input

Quite interesting. What could be acting as transducer?
The output coil even though almost unloaded? (...except for the...)
The headphone-output voltage-divider?
The FL display picking up power supply 'noise'?

In my car the cabin airflow fan act as a speaker and 'plays' out the ignition-noise of the engine.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Lorentz forces (i.e. normal electric motor action), magnetostriction, piezoelectricity - all methods by which electrical activity can produce sound.

If there is no output load then currents will be low so my guess is piezoelectricity.

Maybe. Its an effect I noted when I first started playing around with amps and semiconductors. A pair of T03 devices can be surprisingly loud.

Maybe. Its an effect I noted when I first started playing around with amps and semiconductors. A pair of T03 devices can be surprisingly loud.

I first noticed it on a high-voltage amp with bipolar transistors in the input stage and PL519 valves in the output stage. The PL519s seemed to produce the sound. I didn't dare to put my ear close to the PL519s, that was a bit too dangerous with 1100 V anode bias voltage.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I first noticed it on a high-voltage amp with bipolar transistors in the input stage and PL519 valves in the output stage. The PL519s seemed to produce the sound. I didn't dare to put my ear close to the PL519s, that was a bit too dangerous with 1100 V anode bias voltage.

I remember those as TV line output valves :D You could draw quite an arc from the top cap of those with a (well insulated) screwdriver.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.